Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7th Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment

WASMAN

I am interested in all things Sinnott, quite lucky really because that’s my surname, I recently picked up a pair of World War one medals to a chap called Valentine Charles Sinnott, the only information I have at the moment is he served in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment as a private, enlisting 11.12.1915 only to be discharged 10.11.1916 due to shell-shock and wounds, can anyone tell me what the regiment was upto during this period, and what theatre he served in, many thanks.

Which 7th?

1st/7th Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment

143rd Brigade

48th Division

Date proceeded on active service 22/03/1915

France, Flanders, Italy and Egygt

"The four original Territorial Battalions (the 1/5th, 1/6th, 1/7th and 1/8th), formed the 143rd Brigade in the 48th Division. They proceeded to France at the end of March 1915, and after training at Bailleul went into the trenches in that district. In July they were sent south to Courcelles, and after further training went again into the trenches near Hebuterne before Gommecourt. In that district, with billets at Fonquevillers, they remained till June 1916."

2nd/7th Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment

182nd Brigade

61st Division

Date proceeded on active service 22/05/1916

France and Flanders

The 182nd Brigade left England at the end of May 1916 and had their training near Bethune.

"After completing their training, had gone into the trenches at Fauquissart before Laventie, where on July 19, 1916, the 2/6th and 2/7th took part in an extensive attack, which penetrated deeply into the enemy's defences and inflicted severe loss. In the 6th the attacking companies at once came under heavy shellfire, with the result that all the officers were killed or wounded, nevertheless the men held on and two platoons reached the enemy's parapet; but the attack being unable to make progress at this point was eventually abandoned. The conduct of all under most trying conditions had been excellent. Captain W. Simms was killed, 5 officers wounded; all other ranks 9 were killed, 154 wounded and 68 missing. The casualties in the 2/7th were even greater, over 300. Sir D. Haig described the enterprise as a gallant effort, which had by no means in vain; it had accomplished its purpose, which was to impress on the enemy the risk he would run, if, in order to reinforce the Somme front, he weakened his line elsewhere. The 182nd Brigade remained in the same area till the end of October."

3rd/7th Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Home Service

From The Story of the Royal Warwickshire Regiment (Formerly the Sixth Foot) 1674 to 1920

by Charles Lethbridge Kingsford

Pages 148 to 158 inclusive

CHAPTER XX

THE GREAT WAR: THE BATTLE OF THE SOMME

Attached:

page 215, APPENDIX III, from The Story Of The Royal Warwickshire Regiment by C.L. Kingsford.

Regards

Richard

post-1376-1145670836.jpg

Many thanks Richard, as for Which 7th? I dont know, I only have his MIC stating 7th battalion, would his date of enlistment (11.12.1915) or his reg number (4724) give any clues, many thanks.