Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Relatives discovered at last

Ralph J. Whitehead

Some of you may recall that during a 2002 archaeological dig by No Man's Land three remains were found, two German and one British. The British soldier was identified as to regiment but no name. The first German was identified by Jakob Hönes and in a fairly short period of time quite a few relatives were discovered and informed about the find. To say that they were thrilled by the discovery and subsequent details would be an understatement.

The third body was eventually identified through the study of the remains, the possessions found during the dig, etc. His name was Vizefeldwebel Albert Thielecke and he was killed in June 1915 during the French attacks near Serre, just two days apart from Jakob. We attempted to locate relatives without much success until now.

It seems that an article on the discovery and eventual identification of Jakob was printed in a Stuttgart newspaper. By chance the story was read by someone who was in the city on business who would not normally be in the city or read that particular paper. This person was also named Thielecke. After making contact with another family member it was discovered that Albert was a distant relative, a cousin of their great-grandfather I believe. His grandfather had also died in the war as did the grandfather of his wife (in the English Army however).

The family was quite excited by the discovery it seems and in the near future we hope to be able to exchange further details and information with them. Two identifications out of three is not too bad and to find relatives made it all the more satisfying for the people involved in their discovery and identification.

The response by the Thielecke family as well as the relatives of Jakob clearly indicate that despite the decades since the war families want to know what happened to their relatives and are thrilled and fascinated when confronted with details on long lost family members.

I am quite proud to belong to the Great War Archaeological Group No Man's Land, whose expertise in archaeological procedures as well as forensic examination and historical research of the finds being made that has allowed us to make these identifactions as well as identifying Leopold Rothärmel found in the Hohenzollern Redoubt early last year.

I hope that as other remains are discovered they also have the good fortune of becoming identified and given a marked burial at long last. Even in the case where identification is impossible they will receive the respect that is long overdue.

Ralph

Big grin in Ballymena.

Sound. Fine.

GOOD ON YE!

Des

Guest Dangerfield

Indeed, great work! I just saw a documentary on Discovery yesterday about No Man's Lands' work and I was very fascinated. It showed the work around Rothärmel and it was really touching. Actually brought a lump to my throat.

Too bad that the site was looted, by the way. Can't believe that some people are so greedy they take away the chance to put a dead soldier to rest and let his family know what happened.

Will there be more of No Man's Lands' work shown on Discovery, by any chance?