Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Age of Officers Upon Enlistment

Nick Thornicroft

Two officers I am currently researching were under the age of 19 when they were killed in action on July 1st, 1916. I was wondering whether the background/proper age of officer recruits in general was researched more thoroughly than for men in the ranks, or were some of them simply allowed to 'slip the net' in order to proceed abroad under-age?

Hi Nick - I don’t know the overall answer to your question but my wife’s great uncle was given a commission in the R.F.A (2nd Lieut) aged 17. He was initially posted to the ‘special reserve’ but before he was 18 he was transferred to the 129th Battery at Hill 60. He was killed 1 week after his 18th birthday.

Martin

Unlike the OR Attestations the Officer Attestation Form has a date of birth line. The OR one just asks age (e.g. 18 years, 2 months)

Steve.

Guest geoff501
Two officers I am currently researching were under the age of 19 when they were killed in action on July 1st, 1916. I was wondering whether the background/proper age of officer recruits in general was researched more thoroughly than for men in the ranks, or were some of them simply allowed to 'slip the net' in order to proceed abroad under-age?

I have found around 600 2/Lts under 19 and also a few Lts. age 17 (assuming the records are correct in respect of age), example below. Might be something about this in Richard Van Emden's book Boy Soldiers Of The Great War?

Name: BATES, STANLEY KNIGHT

Initials: S K

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: King's Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment)

Unit Text: 1st/5th Bn.

Date of Death: 09/05/1915

Additional Information: Son of Lt. Col. John Henry Bates, T.D., 1st/5th Bn. King's Own Royal Lancaster Regt., and Sarah Eleanor Bates, of Fir Bank, Penrith, Cumberland. Gazetted 10th Aug., 1914, from Royal Lancaster Grammar School Cadet Corps. Native of Morecambe, Lancs.

Casuality Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: II. B. 41.

Cemetery: AEROPLANE CEMETERY

Lt.Rowley Kelly,Calais South Cemetery.DOW age 17.

Guest geoff501
Lt.Rowley Kelly,Calais South Cemetery.DOW age 17.

Name: KELLY, EDWARD ROWLEY

Initials: E R

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Border Regiment

Unit Text: 3rd Bn.

Date of Death: 07/07/1915

Additional Information: Son of the late Lieut. Edward Kelly (R.N.) and Mrs. Ethel Kelly.

Casuality Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 35.

Cemetery: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

Thanks Geoff,He is on the Carhalton,Surrey,War Memorial,a very young Soldier.

17 is NOT under age for TF officer or SR officer.

Can you clarify, please? 17 was not under-age to enlist or to be sent into combat?

Thanks

Officers did not enlist as such: they were commissioned. The TF and SR both commissioned officers at 17. I know of no regulation against sending them on Active Service, perhaps others can add something?

.y wife’s great uncle (mentioned earlier in this thread) was definitely on active service for some 5 months before his 18th birthday. His surviving war office file show they clearly new his age, amongst other papers his application form for commission states it, and they have his birth certificate.

Martin

Perhaps it was thought at the time that someone suitable to be commissioned was better able to determine that they were old enough to serve King and Country in the field, whereas the other ranks required a degree of protection prior to being sent on active service; hence the minimum age.

Just a thought.

Roxy

Interesting idea Roxy – certainly in one of my wife’s great uncles letters he infers that it had been his decision to go to the front, perhaps for young officers this was how it worked. In his case this letter was written the day before he was killed – his epitath reads

LAST YEAR BUT A BOY

BUT ENGLANDS MARTYR NOW

MOTHER

Martin

Kipling's son was only 18 when killed at Loos (GWGC page) - I think he was commissioned at 17.