Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Henry Allingham

FAAAEd

I'll drink a toast to you Henry in the time honoured naval fashion.

Indeed yes, presumably Rum rather than a Pink Gin?

Henry attended the inaugeration of the St. Omer memorial two years ago, and another service last year. On both occasions he stood to lay a wreath. Just remarkable!

A truly remarkable man

Glyn

PetrolPigeon - Many thanks for the link, I must say that Mr Allingham looks very well in the photo.

I think I will take his tip about Whisky for longevity & toast him tonight, besides, the RAF never used rum in my day!

Cheers

Mark

This thread is also running on a military pilot forum most of whom appear to concur with Henry:

"Mr Allingham said the whisky, along with "cigarettes and wild, wild women", was the secret of his long life."

:D

Keep it up Henry!

Roxy

Indeed yes, presumably Rum rather than a Pink Gin?

Rum indeed. Can't get the real Navy Neaters anymore (even the so called Pussers Rum only comes close) and as SWMBO (she who must be obeyed) bought me (surprisingly - given that I dare only take the odd glass of spirits now and then) a bottle of Lambs (IMHO Captain Morgan is not bad - anything but LH which we tended to avoid), that will do.

Henry attended the inaugeration of the St. Omer memorial two years ago, and another service last year. On both occasions he stood to lay a wreath. Just remarkable!

Indeed remarkable.

On another note I recently found out that he is not so set against the State Funeral for the last veteran as was once the case perhaps.

"Mr Allingham said the whisky, along with "cigarettes and wild, wild women", was the secret of his long life."

That particular quote has been going around for awhile now.

Keep it up Henry!

Roxy

Amen to that. :);)

I think I will take his tip about Whisky for longevity & toast him tonight, besides, the RAF never used rum in my day!

Cheers

Mark

Perhaps they should have, used rum that is. Then they may have been able to walk straight. :unsure:;)

He has a much deserved entry in Wikepedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Allingham

I wonder if it was written by someone on this forum.

My great uncle Eric (SFL Eric Andrews RNAS) started out in 1915 as an Air Mechanic 2nd class from Clavering, Essex and who knows, they could have bumped into each other at Chingford during trainig. Makes the past seem closer.

cigarettes (passive smoking) -- check

good sense of humor -- check

whisky and rum (to be on the safe side) -- check

wild, wild women -- only in the singular, better indent for further supplies.