Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Bn. KRRC

cager

Hi all, I'm trying to research my great uncle Rifleman Charles Ager A/201379 8th KRRC. I can't find much information about the KRRC, and NOTHING of any value about the 8th Battalion. My great unc was killed 16/10/1917 and is commemorated at Tyne Cot, so I've a good idea of where he was, but that is all.

Can someone please tell me anything about the 8th, or point me at a source of info that I've somehow missed. Please.

Many thanks, Colin

I have a copy of the book " The Annals of the Kings Royal Rifle Corps" but there is no mention of the 8th battalion around the time of your great Uncles death. There is a fuller account of their actions at the battle of Arras earlier in the year. I would suggest that your best bet would be to check the War Diary at the PRO at Kew for the period of his death.

Regards. Simon

Thanks both. The search goes on ... Colin

I'll get back to you tomorrow. I am researching 8/KRRC and have a full copy of the War Diary.

I'm in the process of putting together a database of men who served with the battalion and as this was initially based on casualties your great-uncle is already in there. I probably have his medal index card and medal roll details.

More tomorrow - sleep calls!

Mike S

Mike S,

I hope you sleep well and have great dreams! Can't wait to see what you have. Cheers, Happy Colin

Colin

The information I have on your great-uncle is merely that from the CWGC and Soldiers Died in the Great War plus his Medal Index Card.

You will have seen his CWGC entry here.. SDGW gives the following information:

Ager, Charles

Rifleman A/201379

Born Barking

Enlisted Barking

Died 16/10/1917

Killed in Action

France & Flanders

Formerly TR/12/71155 109th TR Battalion.

The latter is interesting - 109th TR Battalion was formerly 19/KRRC and was renamed following the creation of the Training Reserve in September 1916.

For more on the Training reserve follow this link to the mother site to the forum (all created by forum founder Chris Baker - a man who evidently does not sleep!). See also here for more information on training generally.

The medal index card records Charles Ager's entitlement to a 'pair' ie the British War and Victory Medals. This in itself tells us that he did not enter a theatre of war until after 01/01/1916. His Training Reserve connection suggests it was later still. If you want a copy of the medal index card let me know and I'll e-mail it to you. I've yet to photograph his entry on the Medal Rolls itself but will bring it forward and let you have copies.

At the time of his death in October 1917 8/KRRC were at Polderhoek north of Gheluvelt on the Menin Road.

Sadly the war diary gives no indication of his death (though this is not unusual - only deaths of officers are normally noted).

8/KRRC spent early 1917 in the Arras sector (they took an active part in the Battle of Arras). They returned to Ypres in August 1917 (they were there for eight months in 1915). I have the complete war diary and would be happy to share it with you. I'll PM you with details.

Hope this helps

Mike S