Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WANTED ! A GOOD HOME

PBI

I have the Following Medals in my Possession,and i would like to see them reunited back with the recipients relatives.If you know of any details regarding these Medals owners i will be most happy to send them on to the Families,i know its a long shot but heres goes.

2 British Victory Medals

219770 Gunner J.E.Marsden

71798 Private P.Dyson RAMC

2 British War Medals

210770 Gunner J.E.Marsden

1 Trio awarded to

2579 Private W.Boulton 8th London Regiment

The 1915 Star in this Group was awarded to another man,so it looks like Boulton had lost his own original and has used this one,as the previous owners details have been defaced,but i can just about read the Following inscription.

10913 ????

Pte.....Looks like J.Mackenzie

Northumberlan Fusiliers.

Hello

a very genorous offer

Good luck with finding the family but remember, they might have sold them in the first place :ph34r: - youd hate to see them back on EB*Y the next week

Ian

It gives me great pleasure to see a forum member trying to re-unite medals to soldiers families instead of offering them to the highest bidder. Don`t give up !

Best wishes,

Roland. :)

I too have in my possesion a medal that if possible I would like to return.

My medal is for the

1st City of London Royal Field Artillery

Army Marathon Walk Windsor to London

March 13th 1915

Awarded to Gunner J.W.Edwards

Time 4hrs:31 min:45sec

If anyone can help me reunite medal and family that would be great.

Thanks

The Medals were passed to me in an old Tobacco Tin about 25 Years ago,they looked pretty dilapidated even then.

The Medals were passed to me in an old Tobacco Tin about 25 Years ago,they looked pretty dilapidated even then.

The "Family" really cared for them then,then!! ;):blink::o

........rather than selling to the highest bidder!

Just thinking out loud..........But 90 Years on a Man could easily have 10 or 20 direct descendants;the nearest "relative" could be a second cousin xxx times removed,how far do we take the "Family" connection?{seeing as were according to theory all only 5 stages removed from everyone else},~If just Two or Three of those wanted them back {remember Medals dont just 'appear' elsewhere; the majority are sold,given away or even binned!!!by a Family}~who decides then who is to get them~Highest Bidder???? Hhmmmm?

Guest KevinEndon

Maybe there were no family to care for the medals and they were found in a house clearing. Lets never jumps to conclusions it could land us in deep water.

I think you must be correct about the House Clearance side of things,i remember a sad programme years ago,when an old chap had died alone in his flat,as they were clearing it out they came across His Fathers Death Plaque,and Medals,this really upset me i always remember that the Dead Mans Father who had been KIA in WW1 was one Gunner SPONG,i wonder if any Forumites out there have any info on Gnr Spong...i did check him out in SDGW. :(

I have all my Families Medal from WW1,WW2,and Korea.My Mothers Dads Brother was KIA at High Wood whilst serving with 17 LONDONS,i have His medals,Scroll of Commemoration,but no Death Plaque as a Cousin of Mine took it when we were clearing out G.Dads kit,i have asked him for it on numerous occassions,but to no avail...it is hidden in a drawer at his house,he does not even know what it symbolises,at the time he thought it would make a "nice paper weight",apart from Burglary i see no hope of ever seeing it returned to its correct place with the medals and scroll.Any ideas from Forum Members as to how i handle the Situation.????????.

Guest KevinEndon

Get him blind drunk give him a lift home and convince him to hand it over it may work or a small bribe may help but joking aside if showing him all the information does not work maybe buy him a replacement with similar name. At the end of the day if he has a concrete heart then i am affraid burglary may well be your answer.

I will try the Bribery Route...he is an accountant for British Gas..enough said !!!! :D

The "Family" really cared for them then,then!!

Just thinking out loud..........But 90 Years on a Man could easily have 10 or 20 direct descendants~If just Two or Three of those wanted them back {remember Medals dont just 'appear' elsewhere; the majority are sold,given away or even binned!!!by a Family}~who decides then who is to get them~Highest Bidder???? Hhmmmm?

They would just go to the nearest N.O.K.

I think it really smashing that some people want to do the right thing with medals not just grab some fast cash.

You may well be right , in some cases , how the medals were " lost " in the first place and there will also be some families that do not give a stuff what happens to the medals but you will also agree that there will also be some families who will be chuffed to bits to get a past relatives medals back home.

Well done says i for trying PBI and Debbie ! :)

Regards,

Roland.

Hello

dont get me wrong, trying to reunite medals with the family is fine

Im my opinion if who ever has them values them for what they mean then thats the right place for them to be

The chap who wants the plaque - i hope you get it back. Why not "borrow" it .... :ph34r:

Ian

Im my opinion if who ever has them values them for what they mean then thats the right place for them to be

Ian

Are you preparing a bid as i am sure you would give them a good home.

I do agree with you about re-uniting medals being fine.

Roland. :)

Hello

Had they been Coldstream Gds I would obviously been interested. As they are not the CG, then I wouldnt appreciate them as much as somone who collects to these units. And couldnt do them any justice as researching them (and any other units) I find very time consuming as not my area of expertise

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All.

First I would like to commend all you lads and lassie's that have offered a loved one's medals back to the NOK, it is a lovely thought that they could be reunited with the Serviceman's family at last.

I have a vested interest in that I would be absolutely thrilled to get my Great Uncle's Medals back.

All I have is 1 photograph, and his Memorial scroll. Everything else is missing. Oh, I have a Regimental Cap Badge (An original), I was lucky to get that. I am seeking his medals, but? Probably be a fruitless search. I seek his Death plaque, and an original Cloth and Metal Shoulder title!

I am researching my Great Uncle; 30864 Private Edwin Tidey, 7th Service Bn Bedfordshire Regiment.

KIA Glencorse Wood, near Ypres, Belgium on 10th August 1917. Born Ware, Herts, 1881. Enlisted Ware, Herts - date unknown.

Terry W

I have the Following Medals in my Possession,and i would like to see them reunited back with the recipients relatives.If you know of any details regarding these Medals owners i will be most happy to send them on to the Families,i know its a long shot but heres goes.

2 British Victory Medals

2 British War Medals

1 Trio awarded to

The 1915 Star in this Group was awarded to another man,so it looks like Boulton had lost his own original and has used this one,as the previous owners details have been defaced,but i can just about read the Following inscription.

10913 ????

Northumberlan Fusiliers.

Hi

I do hope your medals find their home, as for what happens to medals, my family had the full set for my grannie's first husband, & her brother. Unfortunately, in the late sixties, one of brothers 'friends' stole all but one, he also missed the dead man's pennies for her husband.

I remember playing with them as a kid. I would love to shake him firmly by the throat for stealing them. :angry::angry::angry:

2 British Victory Medals

2 British War Medals

1 Trio awarded to

10913 ????

Northumberlan Fusiliers.

Hi

I do hope your medals find their home, as for what hapens to medals, my family had the full set for my grannie's first husband, & her brother. Unfortunately, in the late sixties, one of brothers 'friends' stole all but one, he also missed the dead man's pennies for her husband.

I remember playing with them as a kid. I would love to shake him firmly by the throat for stealing them. :angry::angry::angry:

Guest burnsey

2 British Victory Medals

2 British War Medals

1 Trio awarded to

10913 ????

Northumberlan Fusiliers.

Being a Post Office Pensioner, Perhaps you could pass the one's for Boulton to the post office archives because he was in the Post Office Rifles which was the 8th London Regt

Burnsey