Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Padstow Royal Navy men

Psmith24

I have taken these name from Padstow war memorial. Can anyone help with any of them please? Surgeon Lt. Edwin John Gostwyck Sargent; Midshipman George Douglas Wood; CPO W.H. Rosevear; CGPO R. Cornock; PO2 R. Dale; CG A. E. Cole; CG F.J. Neale; AB W.G. Masters; Sgn A.J. Williams; A.S. W.C. Hore; Sto. R. Edgcombe; Sto J. Stone. I believe they were all either born in Padstow or lived in Padstow at time of enlistment

The service registers for naval ratings (other ranks) are online. These can be searched by place of birth. You can down load them for free at Kew or the Family Record Centre or they are £3.50 to download at home. How many of these men have you found on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission site so far?

Thanks for the tip. I'm a bit of a novice at this, but hopefully learning fast. I've just started a project collating details on the war dead of Padstow and I posted the Royal Navy names gleaned from the town memorial and a church plaque in the hope of a few pointers. Though I come from a navy background (my father was a chief petty officer on HMS Belfast and several uncles also served) some of the ranks are unfamiliar to me - CGCPO for instance. Can you help?

Peter,

CGCPO Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer

SGN Signalman

Sto. Stoker

PO2 Petty Officer 2nd Class

CG Coastguard or Boatman

Regards Charles

When you find the CWGC entry, that will give you the service number for the ratings and you can then look them up on the seaman's register.