Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SDGW CD-ROM Probs

Lost in Tilloy

Hi

I received a copy of the SDGW V2.0 today but I can't get it to work on my PC. The initial installation seems to run okay, but when I try to run the program I get a message that reads:

'Could not connect to application's database.'

It then refers me to the docs\readme.txt file that lists the basic requirements. As far as I'm aware my PC has all that is required. It even works on my daughter's PC which has a lower spec than mine. I run Windows XP and I've tried disabling Norton and a couple of Spyware programs but this doesn't make any difference.

Anyone else had this problem and managed to overcome it? I have asked the NMP for help but the person wasn't in today.

Regards

LIT

Hello

similar problem. I can run my cd on windows 98 (my pc is coal powered) but not on my mums which is 2000 something or other

For the high cost of the CD a bit of technical help should be forthcoming from them

Ian

LIT & Bernard, if the programme works on Ian's Windows 98 system use the Program Compatibility Wizard in XP (in Accessaries section) and set it to use Win 98 as the operating system. That should fix the problem.

Best wishes

David

Hello

Thats me lost :D I am getting a new PC soon so will probably be coming back for some help!

Ian

LIT & Bernard, if the programme works on Ian's Windows 98 system use the Program Compatibility Wizard in XP (in Accessaries section) and set it to use Win 98 as the operating system. That should fix the problem.

Best wishes

David

Although this should fix the problem, I think the real point is that considering the cost you shouldn't have to indulge in these work arounds.

JOhn

Hi Guys

Many thanks for the replies.

David, I tried what you suggested using a number of different options but they all failed. Although I got a different error message this time. Thanks for the suggestion though.

My daughter's PC also runs with XP and it works fine. I'm beginning to wonder whether I have some sort of corrupt file that doesn't allow me to read .mdb files which is what I believe the application's database uses. I'm not sure what XP uses to read such files and where I can get a 'fix'.

No-one at NMP was around to help on Friday, therefore I'll just need to be patient and wait until next week. Seems such as long time away though!

Thanks again for all the help and support.

Regards

LIT

If you haven't done so already, try to uninstall the program (add/remove programs via the control panel), reboot and reinstall again. I had a similar problem with an earlier version and this fixed it.

thanks,ime gonna try all these,if you see a cloud of black smoke on the horizon it means ive pressed the wrong button :lol::lol: bernard

Good luck Bernard, we'll keep out heads down for a while :lol:

Ian