Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

silver war badge?

alan jones

Hello,

I am doing a bit of research on a great uncle of mine. I have his MIC and it says:

Ethelbert Edward Altree, Private 3037 7th Batt Royal Warwicks Rgt

Enlisted 23/10/1914

Discharged29/2/1916

Para 392 XVI KR

Sickness

List TL 615

Can I find out more, his service records do not survive?

Also his brother E.C.Altree M2/020523 CQMS 74th Div MT COY was mentioned in despatches in LG 10/7/1919. Is there any way of finding out why he was mentioned?

Regards,

Alan

Highly unlikely,MiDs were basically a list of names considered worthy of "Mention" submitted after a specific action etc;& added to a Dispatch by the GOC,& subsequently published in the London Gazette.rarely does the LG give any details of MiDs{& then only if the Officer/Man is actually mentioned in the body of the dispatch~a very rare occurence}many 10000s of MiDs were promulgated & unfortunately no records of the reasons were apparently preserved,suffice to say that your Man must have,for whatever reason,stood out above his peers.

PS;With regard to his Brother, it would be worth you obtaining the SWB Roll page:~[List:#TL/615] as this may contain some limited further information concerning His enlistment & discharge.

Highly unlikely,MiDs were basically a list of names considered worthy of "Mention" submitted after a specific action etc;& added to a Dispatch by the GOC,& subsequently published in the London Gazette.rarely does the LG give any details of MiDs{& then only if the Officer/Man is actually mentioned in the body of the dispatch~a very rare occurence}many 10000s of MiDs were promulgated & unfortunately no records of the reasons were apparently preserved,suffice to say that your Man must have,for whatever reason,stood out above his peers.

PS;With regard to his Brother, it would be worth you obtaining the SWB Roll page:~[List:#TL/615] as this may contain some limited further information concerning His enlistment & discharge.

Hello Harry,

Thanks for that, I shall try to obtain SWB Roll Page. As regards Ernests MID, do you think its worth searching for diary of

Hello Harry,

Thanks for that, I shall try to obtain the SWB Roll and have a look. As regards Ernests MID, do you think it worth looking in possibly the 74th Divisional M.T. Company ASC diary? Or other diaries that apply?

Regards,

Alan

It might be but personally I would not hold out much hope,Recipients of Gallantry Medals rarely get such a mention in War Diaries,let alone MiDs He might possibly appear however as he was a CQMS,but not I fear in conjunction with his MiD.

but you never know 'til you look

Alan, sometimes local newspapers mention why a soldier was MID, maybe worth a try having a look. If you know roughly when it was gazetted it should make it easier to find.