Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tracing Family

Hugh Pattenden

Hi guys,

Was just wondering if anyone could help me out with what the best method is for tracing the family of men killed in the War.

Many thanks,

Hugh.

Hugh

I have had a lot of success in tracing Tunnelling Company officers and turned up letters and photos as a result. I have not yet been able to trace the family of an other rank.

I have done it by obtaining wills via here or your locate Probate Registry, using the Times online to track births, deaths and marriage announcements, sites such as 192.com, and just Googling.

Good luck

Simon

I have had a measure of success over the past 40odd years in tracing NoK of Service men either those KiA;DoW;or survivors relatives though with the passage of time it has become more difficult,as families disperse,however it is surprising just how many descendants still live close to where their antecedents hailed from,scouring the Telephone book used to work{but no doubt Mobile Phones will have taken their toll on many former users of BT}but a letter seeking information,to the local Newspaper/Parish Magazine, in the area of their home, of a known service man has often produced fantastic results,in biographical information,photos & memories of them on many occasions,even the "www" has had a couple of success stories by googling a Surname & keeping fingers crossed,on men given up as a bad job,with little prospect of researching further than a MiC & Medal roll!

Hi guys,

Was just wondering if anyone could help me out with what the best method is for tracing the family of men killed in the War.

Many thanks,

Hugh.

Hello Hugh

I have been researching WW1 men from my village. If you have names try a website a bit like friendsreunited but family tree based. I have had a lot of success with this method. Do a search for your man with a rough date of birth + or - a few years. If someone has that man in their family tree, they may have useful info. I turned up four of my men in this way and now have photo's and regiment details. Good luck!

Clare

Hello

It also depends on the name. A Pte Jones in the Welsh Fusiliers is a tough one. I have managed to contact a few familes, the easiest was Yeldon - not many on the google. His great niece sent me pictures of him on his wedding day!

Always worth a try

Ian