Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Officers' records

Muerrisch

A friend [grand son and surviving next-of-kin] wishes to access his forbear's records, [DSO, double MC, 5 MiD, Lt col etc] but they are not in the public domain because the officer served on after 1920.

Does anyone have experience of gettting any joy from Army Records? What does my friend need to do please?

A letter to the MOD (Army) confirming his has NOK permission to access records. Probably an admin charge of £25+.

My experience is he will receive a summary of service rather than copies of original documents but you never know.

There should be something on the MOD/Army Records website on procedure.

I thought the cut off date was 1929 (is for ORs) - did he serve beyond then?

Guest Simon Bull

My wife's family did it in relation to her Great Grandfather. We received a summary of the records. There was quite a bit there, but I distinctly felt that there was an awful lot we were not being told. She did actually speak to the man who did the summary and he was very helpful.

Many thanks for helpful replies: the 'experts' [Grumpy and the Rgtl Curator] know a huge amount about this man, but he did indeed serve in one capacity or another for 30 years and Army Records is the only place unsearched for his full record .... or what remains of it!

Not WW1 I know, but I got my great uncles WW2 records from the Army Records Office last year, I requested copies of the original documents, which were duly received.

Anyone know why this rule is still in place (next of kin OK required before release)? Its almost 80 years on, after all.

I have one officer whose file I would love to see but have no idea who/where his next of kin are. Any suggestions?

Bernard

For these personal records there is a 75 year rule for release. It is only 61 years since WW2 and the oficial position is that many inter-war men and officers continued to serve for WW2. Last I heard, they were not expecting to release the files until 2020!

If you supply the officer's name I can probably give you some information on him. Dick Flory