Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Vickers Vimy

stan

Oh dear!

(I expect you said something stronger at the time!)

Hope you can rebuild it; please keep us in touch.

Adrian

Stan,

Did the crew get out?

Can it be rebuilt?

Ian

One of them was actually decapitated in the crash! Poor *******! As for a rebuild.....standard procedure in these cases is not to make a decision for a couple of months - decide in haste repent at liesure!

Really sorry to see that, Stan. I think you are going to have to rebuild it, just to keep everyoner on the GWF happy... Good luck with the rebuild!

Adrian

Unfortunately once radio contact is lost they only fly as far as the site of the crash..........

Ouch!

I had feared just this and feel your pain.

Repairing such a complex model obviously requires a high degree of damage assesment.

Perhaps the way that the destroyers HMS Nubian and HMS Zulu became HMS Nubian (the building of a new centre section to assist in the mating process) may provide some inspiration. Although without knowing the details of the damage it is probably rash of me to comment.

One of them was actually decapitated in the crash! Poor *******!

Dulce et decorum est.....

Hope the rebuild can be achieved, and new crew recruited for this dangerous service!

Good luck,

Ian

Stan - shame about the crash - keep us advised on your decision to rebuild or otherwise.

Great shame, but don't you think going to the lengths of actually modelling the life expectancy of a real Vickers Vimy in 1918 was going a bit to far? :lol::lol:

• 2 months later...

Lovely airplane, and like others, I had trouble spotting at first that it was a model. Outstanding.

I think the Vimy would be a relevant aircraft to discuss, even in technical terms - it was, as I recall, developed for use against the Kaiser's Germany, and IIRC did not miss the war by all that much (and at least not to the galling degree that Handley-Page's V1500 did, standing bombed-up, ready to go at 11am on 11/11/18!).

Beautiful machine Stan. For a start I thought it was one of the aircraft they fly at Warbirds over Wanaka until I got further down and saw it was an R/C. B) Thanks for sharing.

Cheers, Diane