Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private H. K. Ridgway, Lancashire Fusiliers

Mark Hone

We are now proceeding apace with compiling the Bury Virtual War Memorial database. As I suspected we are starting to turn up some complete men of mystery, who resist all attempts to locate them on CWGC. SDGW or MIC. Our latest is 'Private H.K. Ridgway, Lancashire Fusiliers'. According to the Bury Times Memorial Book, he 'died on February 22nd 1915, a prisoner of war in Turkey'. I assumed that the BT had put the wrong year, and actually meant 1916, but there is no trace of this chap on CWGC or SDGW for the whole war. I can't locate him definitively on MIC either. Anyone any suggestions?

At the risk of advising elderly relatives on egg-sucking procedures, have you tried the spelling as Ridgeway?

Can't find him in SDGW with either spelling though.

John

There is a Harry Ridgway 21/8/15, Lanc Fus, on Helles Memorial - as per CWGC.

No obvious Bury connection, Mark.

Born - Mossley. Enlisted - Oldham (and CWGC gives Oldham as his parents' address).

John

Thanks for the replies. H. Ridgway on Helles is obviously the most likely candidate, but he doesn't really fit the bill, as John indicates. The Bury Times gives his address as Bolton Road, Bury and is specific that he died as a POW. SDGW says he was killed in action. Of course the BT is by no means infallible-we spent many happy hours hunting a man they called 'Core' who turned out to be called 'Cox' and one chap had not only the wrong regiment but the wrong theatre of war recorded. We are steadily compiling a list of complete 'Men of Mystery' (we have about half a dozen at the moment) and our next step will be to spend money trawling the MICs for clues.