Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Information on a MIC - R Warwicks

Mike_n_Tracey

Hi, I have an MIC for a PTE 16/90 Walter Stanley Saunders of the Royal Warwickshire Regiment 19/09/14 - 19/12/18. The card states that he serves throughout the war. However, there is some information which I do not yet understand. In the 'Cause of Discharge' section in the top right hand corner (version 3 of the MIC) it says,

Para 392(xxx) or could be (xxy)

K R

S

W.O. 6B/18 Is this where he documents were stored?

It also says in the "Action taken" section,

List L/A/1068 Is this the medal listing?

Finally there is something to say that documents were received and passed to S.GB.02.19

The family think he served in Africa so I presume he was in the 9th (Services) Battalion. However, does any of the above give any clues?

It is so much easier when they died!!

Any help much appreciated!

Mike

PS I did try to attach the card as a jpg but it was a little too big. If I reduce the size, I don't think it would be readable!

Mike

Welcome to the forum.

Para 392 (???) refers to his prmature discharge and the numerals in the brackets denote the reason for the discharge. I don't think it will be xxx as it didn't go up that high. Could it be xxv? This would mean he was discharged as his service was no longer required. KR means Kings Regulations (para 392 of the KR's)

List L/A/1068 refers to his entry in the silver war badge roll. This would tell you the badge number and the unit he was discharged from. It may also tell you his age and whether he went overseas.

More info on the silver war badge is available on the mother site.

None of the things you mentioned give clues to his theatre of war.

Is there anything else on the card? This may be a card purely for the SWB. If this is the case it could mean that there is another card for his medal entitlement or maybe he didn't go overseas to a theater of war(and was not eligible for medals).

I've been through nearly 2000 of the Buffs SWB rolls and I have only seen one who was discharged xxv. He was an old CQMS and never went overseas. It also has "documents received" written on it and I've found with the Buffs this always means they didn't go overseas to a theatre of war.

Mick

Hi Mick,

Yes it could be xxv!

Thanks for the reply. His neice told me he served in Africa and was told that by his brother. Since the 9th Bn seems to be the only RWR that served other than F&F I thought this must be correct. They were in Egypt before Gallipoli then Iraq. It also fits in with their formation being August 1914 and his joining in September. They also started sending men home from December 1918 and were out by Feb/Mar 1919, which fits in with his leaving in December 1918.

I will try looking were you suggested. I have his year of birth although not with me now!

It is the first soldier I have looked at who survived...

Mike

Mike

There are Royal Warwickshire Regiment enthusiasts on the forum who may have missed your post. I would try and post another thread with the Regiment in the title to catch their attention.

They will be able to help with service numbers and Battalion movements.

Mick