Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Northumberland Fusiliers

oly2b

You'll need to go the the NA at Kew to look up the Medal Roll sheet for your man. This will tell you his Battalion. If you haven't already done so, then download his medal card first from the NA website, this will give you the medal roll indexes.

Phil

Phil

Many thanks for how to find their unit. I have already downloaded his MIC, not easy to go to the NA (live in the frozen North).

Craig

Craig

Graham Stewart contributes a lot on this site.

His main interest is the Northumberland Fusiliers and his database is impressive.

Get in touch with him, he may be able to help.

Sean

Craig,

The number 29857 actually belongs to Frank Radcliffe, who I know from sources served in the 17th & 1/6th Bn's, Northumberland Fusiliers and was later transferred to the Royal Defence Corps(93268).

I'm still under the impression that 29851 Pte Ralph Ward served with the 2nd Bn,N.F., although it can only be proved exactly which units he served with by getting his Medal Roll Sheet, but I'm also not in a position to obtain it.

Graham.

Graham

One day I will have to have a trip down to London.

Does anybody know if it is more economical to employ an researcher at the NA or pay the NF musem to do the leg work?

Many thanks to the posts

Craig

• 2 weeks later...

Craig

I was at Kew yesterday and took the liberty of looking up Ralph Ward on the medal rolls.

These show him to have been a member of the 12th battalion and later the 13th.

hope this helps

Mike

post-627-1146842582.jpg

Craig

I should have said that this photo has been resized and cropped to fit the forum. If you want the full photo send me a pm from the my controls with your e-mail address (don't post it on the open forum).

Mike

Craig,

Ah well can't win em all. Still nice to see the Medal Roll Sheet, and you can understand why I had him as possibly being in the 2nd Bn.

Anyway after a good deal of searching I've found my N.F. coloured battle patch sheets that I did some years ago and have found that the patch of the 12th Bn,N.F., was actually a red circle worn on both upper arms and below the collar. The same scheme continued to be worn when they amalgamated with the 13th Bn,N.F. to form the 12/13th Bn,N.F., but the circle was removed from the collar and replaced with a red 'V'(for Fifth Foot).

I looked again at the photo you previously attached a enlarged it as best as I could and would say it looks more like the red circle of the 12th Bn, than the divided circle of the 2nd Bn.

Graham.

Graham

Glad you saw this - I meant to e-mail this one to you last night together with the other one.

Cheers

Mike