Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

peter egbert cadbury

vervos

I have tried with little success to dicover more about the service career of Cadbury who piloted the D.H.4 responsible for bringing down Strasser's L.70. There is more on Leckie, the gunner of the aircraft.

Has anyone any more information about Cadbury, please?

Cheers

Vervos

By a really weird coincidence, Egbert Cadbury's son Peter has just died and his obituary was in the Daily Telegraph today:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml...4/18/db1801.xml

From this we can deduce that Egbert Cadbury held the rank of Air Commodore and lived until at least the 1950's. I get most of my info on officers of Air Rank from rafweb.org, but as you say they list Leckie but not Cadbury. Could the Telegraph obituary be incorrect about him becoming an A/Cdre? More likely his rank was honorary or a reserve or auxiliary commission - we know he went back into the family business after WW1.

The article is incorrect in stating: "Peter's father shot down two Zeppelins in his Sopwith Camel"! Cadbury and Leckie were in a DH4 when they shot down L70, and it was Leckie who shot down two Zeppelins - he had also shot down L22 while flying a Curtis flying boat. So far as I know Cadbury only shot down the one, though maybe someone will correct me on that.

Adrian

It looks as if he bagged two Zeppelins;

cadzepp1.jpg

London Times December 4th, 1916

cadzepp2.jpg

London Times September 24th, 1918

Andrew

Thanks Andrew; I must remember your access to Obituaries!

The Times 4/12/16 article relating to the destruction of a Zeppelin on 28/11/16, must refer to L21. (L34 was brought down the same day, but this was by 2/Lt Pyott in a BE2c over Hartlepool). The Wikipedia entry says L21 was "shot down by a British fighter pilot using phosphorus shells". If three men were involved in the destruction of this Zeppelin, I wonder what aicraft they were flying? I can only assume a Curtis H4 flying boat; when Leckie shot down L22 in July 17 he was in an H12.

I have tried with little success to dicover more about the service career of Cadbury who piloted the D.H.4 responsible for bringing down Strasser's L.70. There is more on Leckie, the gunner of the aircraft.

Cheers

Vervos

I see that this is the E.Cadbury that came into the frame whilst looking into Henry Allingham's story recently.

As the obit' reproduced here explains he was one of the fliers on AS and AZ patrols from trawlers (e.g. Kingfisher) and Humber ferries (e.g. Killingholm) and Great Yarmouth during 1916. There is a group photograph on page 155 of, 'Royal Navy Shipboard Aircraft Developments 1912-1931' by Dick Cronin. Air-Britain 1990 and still available new from the publishers ISBN 0 85130 165 7

http://www.air-britain.co.uk/

If three men were involved in the destruction of this Zeppelin, I wonder what aicraft they were flying?

Adrian

According to Arch Whitehouse’s The Zeppelin Fighters, there were four men in two DH 4s. Cadbury and Leckie in one and Lt R. E. Keys and a Private A. T. Harman in the other.

Whitehouse describes Cadbury and Leckie's destruction of L-70, but does not give an account of the action taken by Keys and Harman.

Hope this makes the picture a little clearer.

Regards

Mark

Mark,

quoting Arch Whitehouse is akin to offering the Beano as a reliable source! Having said that he actually gets something right for once!

Keys and Harman undoubtedly attacked L70 in their DH4 on the night of the 5th/6th August and quite probably deserved a half share with Cadbury and Leckie. Unfortunately their combat claim contained several anomolies such as the time of the engagement, the position of the engagement and a description of L70. This resulted in the Admiralty dismissing their claim.

Cadbury and Leckie were awarded DFCs and Keys didn't even rate a mention in the official history!

In Cadbury's earlier 27th/28th November 1916 encounter with L21 in a BE2c, he was probably given the dirty end of the stick when the "bulk" of the victory was given to Pulling who received a DSO, whilst Cadbury and Fane (who also attacked L21) were given DSCs.

Mike

If three men were involved in the destruction of this Zeppelin, I wonder what aicraft they were flying?

Adrian

On 27/28 November 1916:

FSL L Pulling from Bacton was flying BE 2c 8626;

FSL G W R Fane from Burgh Castle was flying BE 2c 8420; and

Flt Lt E Cadbury, also from Burgh Castle, was flying BE 2c 8625.

On 5/6 August 1918:

Lt R E Keys and AM A T Harman from Yarmouth were flying DH 4 A8039; and

Maj E Cadbury and Capt R Leckie, also from Yarmouth, were flying DH 4 A8032.

I hope this helps.

Gareth

QUOTE(Adrian Roberts @ Apr 20 2006, 09:01 AM)

Adrian

On 27/28 November 1916:

FSL L Pulling from Bacton was flying BE 2c 8626;

FSL G W R Fane from Burgh Castle was flying BE 2c 8420; and

Flt Lt E Cadbury, also from Burgh Castle, was flying BE 2c 8625.

Slight brain malfunction there; I assumed that because all three were decorated for their involvement, they must have been in the same aircraft! :wacko:

Adrian

Guest anancientrace

Cheers

Vervos

For family reseach reasons I have been using the two volume book "A History of The Cadbury Family" by John F Crosfield.

Too expensive to buy perhaps but in the Humanities section of the British Library you have access to it for free. Everything you may need perhaps? So if you live near London?

For family reseach reasons I have been using the two volume book "A History of The Cadbury Family" by John F Crosfield.

Too expensive to buy perhaps but in the Humanities section of the British Library you have access to it for free. Everything you may need perhaps? So if you live near London?

Many thanks to you and all the others for this helpful information.

Cheers

Vervos