Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

For those interested in airships.......

stan

Interesting site, Stan. Thanks for letting us know.

Tom

Please forgive this to tell!

I am myself holder of the Honorary Life Membership to the AHT...(former FOCAS)

No commetn on this website, but I have tried since long yers to get on there also the "missing airships" from the period 1902-1914! Invain...

I am speaking about airships as the SpencerAirships, Willows, Baby, Beta, Gamma, Delta, Eta...the Pasevals, and such...which are "missing"! Some of these I thought have been on the website at the time...but where are they today? Especially those airships from the pre-WWI until WWI period are missing!

So if you need these to view, along with a lot of another airships, I give you here the links where to find them! Perhaps some will missing on there too, but it happens I need to mail them still to Rod Filan...

It's not all placed or mailed yet! (Continious addings needed!)

www.earlyaviator.com

For German airships I could eventually recommand :

www.pilotundluftschiff.de

vbr

Jempie

Added the Astra-Torres bought from France 1913, which was at Ostend 1914...during the early wardays.

post-9797-1145379052.jpg

Airbattle weekend in Zonnebeke - Belgium this weekend 22-23 april

www.zonnebeke.be then click on museum weekend

Airbattle weekend in Zonnebeke - Belgium this weekend 22-23 april

www.zonnebeke.be then click on museum weekend

Any translation?

post-8629-1145685410.jpg

I wonder if the airship at Ostend is the same one I have a photo of in an old photo album?

Gunner Bailey

post-8629-1145685410.jpg

I wonder if the airship at Ostend is the same one I have a photo of in an old photo album?

Gunner Bailey

I think not, it does not appear segmented like the Astra torres type and the gondola is too close to the body of the ship..

I think not, it does not appear segmented like the Astra torres type and the gondola is too close to the body of the ship..

No Stan!

Yours is definitly the Astra Torres type with a gun on bow of car and a later type!

Following my opinion between AT 10 -17 and AT18-19 type!

The difference between these two on photos is that AT 10-17 had no cockpit (were open over the full lenght)

while the command post (just behind the gun!) of AT18 and 19 had a closed cockpit which is to remark as a "bult" sticking out just after the gunners post the gondola!

They had a 75 mm canon on top of bow which was loaded horizantal and clinched vertical pointed down to fire on submarines!

These had two identical vertical fins and painted with the French flag colours!

The one at Ostend was HMNA n° 3 (Her or His Majesty's Naval Airship) used 1913 until 1916!

Some just use HMA indication, but this became a Naval Airship when WWI started! So HMNA is more correct!

I add once a scna of AT 11! Youllsee this is more alike your photo!

vbr

Jempie

post-9797-1145721340.jpg

No Stan!

Yours is definitly the Astra Torres type with a gun on bow of car and a later type!

Following my opinion between AT 10 -17 and AT18-19 type!

The difference between these two on photos is that AT 10-17 had no cockpit (were open over the full lenght)

while the command post (just behind the gun!) of AT18 and 19 had a closed cockpit which is to remark as a "bult" sticking out just after the gunners post the gondola!

They had a 75 mm canon on top of bow which was loaded horizantal and clinched vertical pointed down to fire on submarines!

These had two identical vertical fins and painted with the French flag colours!

The one at Ostend was HMNA n° 3 (Her or His Majesty's Naval Airship) used 1913 until 1916!

Some just use HMA indication, but this became a Naval Airship when WWI started! So HMNA is more correct!

vbr

Jempie

Here added the gondola of AT 18 showing that seperstructure of cockpit, in fact closed commandpost!

While on AT 11 the commanders and navigators stood into an open command post!

VBr Jempie

post-9797-1145722786.jpg

Just a remark!

Ichecked a book I have :

The Astra-Torres AT 1, AT 13, AT 17 and AT 18 were operated by the American Navy at Paimboeuf /France during WWI! Most of these airships at the Armistice were rendered to France!

AT 19 was in French service 1924 at Cuers -Pierrefeu after the explosion of the "Dixmude"...!

So if tou can detect on your photo if this airship had a cockpit or not?

Than yopu can tell for yourself which type it was ?

But the photo was shot from below...that makes it's difficult to me to see on the photo as posted (size) on the website here which type it is!

But's surely one of within the type range I gave up!

VBR

Jempie

No Stan!

Following my opinion between AT 10 -17 and AT18-19 type!......

vbr

Jempie

Ah, yes your picture makes it a lot clearer. Chalk one up to experience!

Here added the gondola of AT 18 showing that seperstructure of cockpit, in fact closed commandpost!

While on AT 11 the commanders and navigators stood into an open command post!

VBr Jempie

Jempie

Thanks for posting this picture. It really give me an idea of the size of these airships. Regarding my photo, as it is taken from underneath the closeness to the ballon cannot be judged. It could have the same spar as the one in your photo.

Guner Bailey

• 3 months later...