Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

S.T. LINDSEY

Terence Munson

Can anyone help with additional information about Steam Trawler ’Lindsey’? I presume she was a victim of an enemy mine. I’ve been looking for a George Grant for a New Zealand researcher who requested help via my website. This one seems to fit although the date was thought to be late 1918 and a trawler sailing out of Grimsby:

GRANT

Initials: G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Mercantile Marine

Unit Text: Steam Trawler "Lindsey" (Boston)

Date of Death: 10/09/1920

Additional information: Husband of Rose Grant, of Tooley St., Boston. Born at Grimsby.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Memorial: TOWER HILL MEMORIAL

Any info. would be appreciated.

Cheers: Terry

Terry,

Found this one does POW fit into the equation?

Lindsey, 144grt, 25 August 1914, 70 miles ENE from Inner Dowsing LV, captured by torpedo boat, sunk by bomb, crew made prisoners

Regards Charles

Charles, Thanks but I don't think POW is applicable - the query I received is as follows:

I was sent your site from a distant relation with the hope of some help. I have a Grandfather George Grant ( wife Rose Grant with 2 sons and a daughter) who went out from Grimsby on a trawler I gather in the late 1918 and the trawler hit a mine and none survived.

My grandfather was a last minute replacement for the cook who wanted to stay home as his wifes baby was due. I have gone through so many records and not having an age or any knowledge of him makes it a little harder. My Father and his brother and sister were put into Newlands in Hull. Only my Aunt is still alive and she was only 2 when he died.

Is there any way of tracking him down.

I think the CWG report I posted could be him but the date 1920 is a puzzle - the only reason I can think of is that the trawler hit an enemy mine and so the casualty(s) was a direct result of the hostilities.

Terry,

Try Hull Archieves for the records of Newland Homes they may have something on him and the children, especially the date they went in. It could well be your chap in 1920 lots of mines still around then. It would also have been reported in the papers??

Regards Charles

Terry, I have a note in my file on post Armistice sinkings that the Steam Trawler Lindsey was sunk on 10th September 1920, no reason stated.

I can confirm that the earlier Lindsey, reported by Charles, is confirmed in British Vessels Lost at Sea 1914-1918.

Best wishes

David

Charles and David, many thanks for your imput I think we've got a result! - I've emailed the findings to NZ and will check for more info. on S.T. Lindsey

Thanks again and