Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Guards machine gun regiment

Coldstreamer

Hello

Any one know how many joined this lot ?

MIC hits show 4477 but not sure how accurate this is method is and would like a second opinion.

Thanks

Ian

I would think your figure is about 60~80% of the total,allowing for those who didnt serve overseas or transferred out before embarkation & thus were not recorded[basing this on Camb R.where Mic list 5975 odd yet Official History gives around 10000 going "Through" the Regiment during WW1]

Hello

Thanks for that. I wondered as they didnt have that many casualties and was interested in percentages to see if transferring to them was a "safer" option

Ian

GMGR appear to have used a consecutive numbering system similar to the MGC. The highest GMGR number that I have recorded is 8216. Does that appear reasonable in view of comments by "Harry Betts"?

I wondered as they didnt have that many casualties and was interested in percentages to see if transferring to them was a "safer" option

CWGC records 136 casualties for the Guards Machine Gun Regiment and 94 under its previous name of Machine Gun Guards (pre-05.08.18).

Hello

so 230 casualties out of say 8216 isnt that high a rate really ? Even if they had 4000 men it isnt that high

Ian