Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Field Artillery - William Ewart King

Guest alipeg

I have at last established that my grandfather William Ewart King was a gunner in the RFA in the Great War and tracking back through the medal cards have established that his regimental number was L/25983. The medal card says he went to France in November 1915 and he survived to the end of the war. I have checked through the service records and found none - presumably because they were among the burnt ones. Where do I go from here? Can I use the regimental number to work out which brigade he was in and therefore which battles etc he was in? I know his date of birth, where he was living and his wife's name and I know he trained on Salisbury Plain and had to ride a horse!

Any help/advice much appreciated.

HI,

Firstly good luck with your venture, I recently researched my Great Grandfather who also served in the RFA, he went to the front in March of 1917 and also survived the war. A fascinating story I can tell you. I was lucky, we had a copy of his paybook and that told us what Artillery brigade he was in.

It is diffulcult to ascertain what Brigade he was part of using the regimenatal number alone. if you have any further info about him at all, no matter how small, that may help us in trying to identify his Brigade.

One avenue of research is open to you now, attached to this website is the "Long Long Trail"website, just click on the Blue link top left of this page. On that website you will find a brief history of all the artillery Brigades. You will be able to check them and see what Brigades shipped out to the Front in November of 1915.

Also, as artillery brigades were atached to a division, you will be able to check what divisions shipped over to France in Novemebr of 1915. It wont determine his exact unit, but certainly will narrow it down if you are certain he went to France in that month.

Good luck.

regards Aaron.

Hi alipeg,

Your g'father may of gone to France as part of a Brigade or as a Draft of men to the RFA, you never really know.

There is a file at the N/A called WO379/16 "Embarkation Dates of Units going Overseas 1914-1918". It's the original book and you can look-up which RFA Brigade left the UK around the date you have on the Medal Index Card.

Then you can check the Brigade War Diary and find out where they left from, where they landed and on which ship.

You could also look for the 1918-1919 Absent Voters List for the area your g'father came from. My g'father came from Wood Green, London, and I'm having a hard time finding the AVL though.

You could also check the actual Medal Rolls.

Hope some of this helps,

Paul S

I thought I had posted a reply but apparently not! I'm new to this so not sure how I reply to you separately so I'll do it to all three. Many thanks for your help.

Aaron - thanks for suggestion. I had already taken a look at the Long Long Trail but couldn't work out where to start!

Roop - How did you know? Yes my grandfather lived in Stratford then Leytonstone: he was living in the latter when he signed up.

Paul - some useful suggestions here - thanks. I've just been to NA - and checked the medal roll but it didn't give any info beyond number and name. I'l try the Embarkation dates book when I go next. I've tried one address with the Vestry Museum -checking the AVL - but that was unsuccessful. Maybe I'll try another possibility...

Ali

There is a strong possibility that your man was in the 172nd (East Ham )Brigade RFA when formed ie 36 Divisional Artillery. However of course he may have moved about a bit later as batteries and broigades were re-organised.

I guessed he may be a Londoner due to the number but one can never be sure on these matters.

If you follow this link you will learn more:

http://www.1914-1918.net/rfa_units.htm

Roop

A quick review of the 36 Division on the Long Long Trail shows:-

3rd to 6th October 1915 : moved to France, and served with distinction on the Western Front throughout the war. The Divisional Artillery remained in England until November 1915.

Roop