Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/KOYLI War Diary

Max

• 6 months later...

I am searching for information on my grandfather, James Davies-Powell. He enlisted in 1905 and was in the Yorkshire light infantry 3rd Battalion. Any info would be helpfu. Thank you.

Hello Karen

Welcome to the forum.

The 3rd Battalion KOYLI was the Depot (Reserve) Bn that supplied drafts to the two regular battalions.

When you say that your Grandfather enlisted in the 3rd Battalion this may mean that he was a pre-war Special Reservist who was, during the war, drafted to one of the front line battalions and sent to France/Belgium.

Do you know what your grandads service number was?, any extra detail that you can supply will certainly help with me helping you.

Andy

• 1 month later...

Well I have more info. on grandad's service records. His no. 37106 RFA. joined "7 depot RFA 1.7.05, 106 bty RFA, 16.9.05, "112 bty RFA 4.7.10. Hopefully this will yield some results. Thanks Karen

Hello Karen

These service numbers are for the Royal Field Artillery. Are you sure that he was in the KOYLI?

Andy

I have now transcribed the 1/KOYLI war diary for period 1/5/1915 to 1/10/1915.

Lookups no problem

Andy

Have you anything pre 5/1915 as my Great Uncle was KIA 02~February 1915 {CWGC State 02/02/15}with 1st Battalion,No known grave {Menin Gate}L/Cpl 10619;Arthur Alfred Vanhinsbergh 1st KOYLI,I would appreciate information as to what they were doing around that time,Thank you in anticipation.Roger.

Hello Roger

I haven't got the war diary for the period but I do have the regimental history. I will check it out tonight and get back to you.

Andy

• 10 months later...
Guest lesleychivers

Andy, are you able to give me any info on my Great Grandfather who served with the 2nd Bn, KOYLI, Corporal George Miller, 22978.

k.i.a. 15th October 1915 buried at Carnoy Military Cemetry. I suppose I want to know in which battle he was killed and a little info. We believe he was awarded a DCM in the Boer war.

Another question please could he have a different regiment number from one war to the next although he served in the KOYLI in both ?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Lesley Chivers

Hello Lesley

Unfortunately the Regimental history does not state where or what the 2/KOYLI were doing on 15th October 1915. I would assume that your Great Grandfather, like so many others, was killed whilst carrying out "normal" duties in the trenches.

However, I can give you his entry from Soldiers Killed in the Great War.

Miller, George Born Usworth, Sunderland. Enlisted South Shields 22978 Pte., KiA France and Flanders 15/10/1915. Formerly 10786 Durham Light Infantry.

Why he is listed as Private and not Corporal as shown on CWGC I don't know.

Sorry I can't be of any more help

Andy