Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service Number Query - meaning of S/

pud2006

Can anyone confirm that the presence of "S/" in front of a WW1 Gordon Highlander Battalion Service Number, e.g. S/12345 instead of just 12345, indentifies the soldier as a conscript rather than a pre-1916 Regular or Volunteer?

Another speculative suggestion was that it indicates a soldier who joined a Battalion after the start of hostilities.

A definitive answer would be very much appreciated because it would help to resolve a long-standing family debate about when 2 brothers serving in the Gordon Highlanders (Privates) started their service - one has the "S/" in front of his Service Number and the other doesn't. Unfortunately both were killed, and their Service Records are not at Kew, presumably destroyed with many others by WW2 bombing.

Thanks

Paul

Hi Arthur,

Thanks for your prompt response, but now I'm a little confused.

"Wartime enlistment" would seem to imply that a soldier without S/ in his service number would have enlisted before WW1, but the Medal Index Card for the brother without the S/ shows that he wasn't entitled to the 1914-15 Star although his Battalion was in action on the Continent in 1915.

Did I misunderstand you?

Regards

Paul

Just a thought, but is it possible that he went through the attestation process before hostilities, but wasn't taken on strength until 1916?

He would have turned 18 in July 1914, and the only hard evidence of active service is his MIC and the CWGC record of his death in action near Courcelette in December 1916.

His brother with the S/ was just short of 19 when WW1 started, but we have no hard evidence of active service before January 1918.

Paul

Hi Paul,

No you did not misunderstand me. Amongst the information that I have there are eleven prefixes starting with the letter 'S'. Highland Regts and Scottish Regts were both given this prefix for Wartime Enlistment according to the list.

I agree there seems to be some confussion here why one member should have the prefix and the other member not to have it, especially as both the men enlisted for wartime service.

Was he in a reserved occupation whilst involved with the Territorials before the war?

Regards

Arthur

Hi Arthur,

Both were working on farms (one for his father, the other for a distant relative living in the same area) prior to joining the Gordon Highlanders.

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

Was he in a reserved occupation whilst involved with the Territorials before the war?

Regards

Arthur

Hi Paul.Would not be suprised if "S" in this instance stands for Short enlistment.This would be for hostilities only and not a normal fixed period enlistment.Just for te period of the war.Regards Bob.