Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RNAS service registers online

per ardua per mare per terram

I haven't seen a thread (I've probably missed it) that gives this information

RNAS ratings service registers, for service up to 1/4/1918, are included in the ADM 188 Registers of Seamen's Services now available online, but the details they give are very basic, but at least they're accessable! The problem was that there was a card index giving more information, which appears to have been destroyed.

If you know their RNAS number put that in the Other Keywords (e.g. Official Number) section

so F1 (I should be so lucky) gives you

Description Name Fill, Samuel John Vincent

Official Number: F1

Place of Birth: North Shields, Northumberland

Date 05 October 1879 this is date of birth.

£3.50 to download.

I haven't seen a thread (I've probably missed it) that gives this information

RNAS ratings service registers, for service up to 1/4/1918, are included in the ADM 188 Registers of Seamen's Services now available online, but the details they give are very basic, but at least they're accessable! The problem was that there was a card index giving more information, which appears to have been destroyed.

If you know their RNAS number put that in the Other Keywords (e.g. Official Number) section

so F1 (I should be so lucky) gives you

Description Name Fill, Samuel John Vincent

Official Number: F1

Place of Birth: North Shields, Northumberland

Date 05 October 1879 this is date of birth.

£3.50 to download.

Were the RNAS chaps serial number all prefixed with the letter "F"

Andrew

According to one article i read some years ago, the F prefix stood for 'flying' as most existing branches of the Royal Navy had their own prefix.

Also if a man transfered from the RNAS to the RAF on it's formation his new number began 20------ or 21------

Dave H.

Also if a man transfered from the RNAS to the RAF on it's formation his new number began 20------ or 21 H.

The RAF numbers allocated to the RNAS started at 200001 and went up to the limit for their old numbers, around 255000.

The F prefix is for everyone that enrolled in the RNAS. I don't have a database for the RNAS, but I know there are some pals that do. On a quick tally using Fevyer and Wilson's '1914 Star to RN & RM' out of 482 eligable for the star I've found:

1. 89 officers
  2. 134 with standard naval numbers
  3. 31 Royal Marines