Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFC men, squadrons, one a DFC

Havrincourt

Hello

I would like some help with these names if at all possible, could anyone give me a little background to these men , where can I find Squadron histories?, where these men might have been when they died?, how one of them won a DFC

2nd Lt E F Reynolds KIA 10th Dec 1918

Lt John Weston Warner KIA 4th Oct 1918 85th Squadron won the DFC?

T J Collihole Died 13th March 1917

Joseph Copperwheat died 31st Jan 1918

The last two are Airmen and have service numbers of 62859 and 24024

The above mentioned are all local men to the area of Tadcaster

Thanks

Andy

Best thing to do Andy is to have a look at the Archives. I have researched a couple of RFC/RAF bods now & theres service records, squadron records etc at teh NA to browse. Well worth the time mate.

And then theres nooks like above the trenches, the aerodrome web site etc to try as well ...

Andy

2nd Lt E F Reynolds of No 46 Training Depot Station RAF, at South Carlton, was flying Sopwith Camel E7149 when he fatally crashed in fog on 10 December 1918.

Lt John Weston Warner DFC, of No 85 Sqn RAF, was flying SE 5a E3922 on a patrol when he was killed in action on 4 Oct 1918. He was last seen in combat with enemy aircraft over Busigny at 1200. A victory was credited to Ltn Paul Bäumer of Jasta 2; it was the 40th of his eventual 43 victories. No 85 Sqn lost three pilots and aircraft from that patrol; as well as Lt Warner, 2Lt Frank Lydon LeLievre was killed in D6985 and Lt Charles William Davison was killed in F5520.

Lt Warner joined the RFC in September 1917, and was credited with eight victories (all when flying SE 5as with No 85 Sqn) at the time of his death. His DFC was gazetted on 3 December 1918. The citation is below.

Air Mechanic Class II Thomas John Collihole was serving in No 28 Reserve Squadron RFC, when he died on 13 March 1917

Air Mechanic Class I Joseph Copperwheat was serving at the RFC Recruit Depot when he died on 31 January 1918.

I hope that this helps.

Gareth

post-45-1144967421.jpg

Gareth

Thank you very much, superb detail , myself and my brother have over 390 names of men listed on local memorials , these RFC men are part of that listing, just outside Tadcaster is a ww1 airfield, I believe that Sterne Tighe Edwards was staioned here , I visited his grave in the Tadcaster churchyard yesterday afternoon, would you like a photo of it , I will download it for those who are interested

Regards

Andy :D

Andy

Thanks for the message. I'd be interested to see any photographs that you post.

Regards

Gareth

Hi Gareth

Here is the picture of Stearne , seems strange he is laid to rest here, he is not in a CWGC grave, A well known ace in Canada, resting in peace in Tadcaster

Andy

post-10939-1145114822.jpg

Andy

Thank you very much for the photograph. As you remarked, it's odd that he doesn't have a standard headstone.

According to Above the Trenches, Capt S T Edwards DSC was fatally injured in a flying accident on 12 November 1918, and died on 22 November, which is at variance to the inscription on his headstone.

Best wishes

Gareth

Lt John Weston Warner DFC, of No 85 Sqn RAF, was flying SE 5a E3922 on a patrol when he was killed in action on 4 Oct 1918. He was last seen in combat with enemy aircraft over Busigny at 1200. A victory was credited to Ltn Paul Bäumer of Jasta 2; it was the 40th of his eventual 43 victories. No 85 Sqn lost three pilots and aircraft from that patrol; as well as Lt Warner, 2Lt Frank Lydon LeLievre was killed in D6985 and Lt Charles William Davison was killed in F5520.

Lt Warner joined the RFC in September 1917, and was credited with eight victories (all when flying SE 5as with No 85 Sqn) at the time of his death. His DFC was gazetted on 3 December 1918. The citation is below.

The sqn was based at Foucaucourt on 4 Oct 1918

All The Best

Chris