Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Still Finding Gunner Hyde RGA 36441

Joshua1

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this very interesting forum.

I'm searching for any information about the Unit/Battallion/Brigade my grandfather served in during WW1, so I can see where he was serving and what he was doing.

His medal index card says Vivian F Hyde Corps RGA Rank Gunner 36441

Medals RGA/113B Pg 1256 Issued 14/4/1921

Victory A263

British

1915 Star RGA/1a/2/112

Theatre of war first served in France 19/8/1915

He married my grandmother in Portsmouth 1st August 1915 at St Thomas Garrison church.

He was born in Gorleston Suffolk 1892 and his two brothers served in the Norfolk Regiment.

I only have one photo of him in his RGA uniform and someone said he may have been a regular before WW1

I've tried for his service record but it looks as though it's one of those that hasn't survived.

A recently discovered relation says he served as a sergeant in WW2 at an armaments factory in Wrexham.

Would his WW1 record be filed with his WW2? Would he keep the same number?

I'd be really grateful for any help or information anyone can give.

Thanks

Ken

Hi Ken,

Unfortunately his army number is no help in this quest. It would appear to be one associated with a regular army battery.

If you can obtain the medal roll from Kew for your man you may be lucky and find it listed alongside his name. If not it would be guesswork.

Roop

Ken

As Roop suggested it may involve guesswork, so here's mine.

During August 15 three Heavy batteries RGA went out to Western Front and nine Siege Batteries RGA.

20th H B - 7th Aug

21st H B - 20th Aug

22nd H B - 31st Aug

23rd S B - 20th Aug

24th S B - 20th Aug

25th S B - 3rd Aug

26th S B - 3rd Aug

29th S B - 31st Aug

30th S B - 27th Aug

33rd S B - 8th Aug

34th S B - 18th Aug

45th S B - 31st Aug

The Allocation of Batteries List shows the date the batteries were sent out to W/F and from the few MIC's I have looked at, the entry into theatre mostly appears as the next day.

So, my guess would be 34 Siege Battery ( right section ). I've attached the Allocation details for them.

Have you tried contacting The Army Records Centre in Glasgow for his WW2 service records?

Stuart

post-6041-1144970804.jpg

Guest suetowler

Hi Ken,

I was "googling" to find 34th siege battery. How lucky to come across this posting (and thanks to Stuart and Roop, too!)

My great, great uncle William David Dow was a gunner with 34th siege battery and went to France on 18/8/1915. He joined up in Great Yarmouth which is adjacent to Gorleston. His cousin joined the Norfolk Regiment, so I'm not entirely sure why Will ended up in the Royal Garrison Artillery. He was killed in action on 15th September 1917 and I am trying to trace his movements up to this date. Your posting has helped a great deal, so thank you. If I find out anything further, I'll let you know.

Sue

Guest suetowler

Hi Stuart,

I was doing family history research, and had some military photographs of Will that my grandmother gave me. I could make out that his hat badge was Royal Artillery. I also knew his age and where he was born from the 1901 census. He had written on the photographs he had sent to his mother, and the last one was signed Will, June 12th 1917. Obviously he died after this date, but my grandmother knew that he died before the end of the war.

The commonwealth war graves website (http://www.cwgc.org/debt_of_honour.asp?menuid=14) allows you to search for soldiers, so I used it to search for Will. There was only one William David Dow and he was listed as 34th Siege Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery along with his date of death (15/9/1917), his service number and the location of his grave.

I also checked for his medal card in the National Archives, and again, there was only one William David Dow and the information matched that on the war graves website.

Hope that helps,

Sue

Hi Stuart,

Do you have the Allocation of Batteries List for Siege Batteries 1 to 6 and also 8. could you please post them to this site.

Many thanks

Terryb

West Aust

Many thanks to Stuart, Roop and Sue.

I've been searching for information about Viv my grandfather for years. He left my grandmother in the 20's and we knew almost nothing about him, and naturally my Dad wasn't too bothered!

I might be wrong, but I think there was a Norfolk unit of the RGA based at Norwich which might explain why some joined the RGA and some the Norfok Regiment.

Hi to everyone.

I took Roop's advice and have just come back from the national Archives at Kew, where delving into the knowledge and practice of mysterious indexes known only to the ancient ones, a book for RGA individuals entitled to receive the Victory and British War medal was eventually produced - WO 329/264.

On page 1256 along with other sequential service number details, the following was typed:-

36441 Gnr Hyde Vivian Frank Unit 24(S)

I noticed that the majority of entries had the man's unit clearly identified but some had "base details" recorded as the unit.

Can anyone explain what 24(S) means?

If it means 24th Seige Battery has anyone got any details of what they consisted of, where they served and who they were attached to?

Looking forward to your replies with many thanks

Ken

Ken

My original guess was going to be 24 but must have typed 34 by mistake!! Following Roops advice is usually a better bet.

Diary and Allocation details for 24th Siege.

WO 95/470 24 Siege Battery Royal Garrison Artillery 1917 May - Aug.

post-6041-1146002489.jpg