Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can anyone identify this Farman Prototype?

stan

Stan

We had a go at identifying this machine some time ago. See

for the process.

Alas, we couldn't come up with the definite answer.

Cheers

Gareth

All I can add is that it is definately not an F30 or 31 as the upper wing attachment is in the wrong (and probably very awkward) place. The exhaust is however identical to that of both the Dorand and Breguet 14 with Renault engines.

Doug

Here's a response from "TomVrille" over at theaerodrome:

It looks like the H.F.36. If so, only one was built, and tested in July 1916. The design was not selected for production, despite numerous modifications attempted during the test program. The intended purpose was a two-seat fighter/attack aircraft. The H.F.36 was all metal construction, and used the Renault 12Fa engine rated at 220 hp.

ref. French Aircraft of the First World War by Davilla and Soltan

cheers

Adrian

As I mentioned in the "German Monoplane" post yesterday, I was looking through http://www.greatwar.nl/ yesterday. I saw this pic as well as the monoplane and remembered it from our previous discussions.

The caption on the nl site quotes our discussions, so they were obviously pleased with our conclusions, and they acknowledge "Gareth & Adrian of the GWF" which is nice of them. (It was Gareth, as always who came up with the most useful info).

Adrian

PS I've just noticed it was a year ago to within two days - time flies!

As I mentioned in the "German Monoplane" post yesterday, I was looking through http://www.greatwar.nl/ yesterday. I saw this pic as well as the monoplane and remembered it from our previous discussions.

The caption on the nl site quotes our discussions, so they were obviously pleased with our conclusions, and they acknowledge "Gareth & Adrian of the GWF" which is nice of them. (It was Gareth, as always who came up with the most useful info).

Adrian

PS I've just noticed it was a year ago to within two days - time flies!

Well we can now go one further. It is the HF 36 and what's more is a pic of the completed airframe!

post-2145-1144971528.jpg

Stan

Thanks for the photograph. If nothing else, it tends to prove the old saying about an aeroplane that looks right will probably fly right. From the look of the HF 36 it's not exactly a surprise that it didn't go into service.

Regards

Gareth

G'day Adrian,

Apologies for not staying on the subject, but is your book sill due out in May???

Andrew.

G'day Adrian,

Apologies for not staying on the subject, but is your book sill due out in May???

Andrew.

Depends where you live. I got the page proofs the other day which means early May publication in England and 3-4 months later here in Australia. Amazon is already offering a discount and it hasn't even been printed yet!

cheers