Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German monoplane

Adrian Roberts

Just spent ages looking through

http://www.greatwar.nl/

which was recommended on another thread.

There are some fairly gruesome pictures which show the reality of war so I feel slightly guilty asking a technical question, but here goes:

Can anyone ID the monoplane in this colour pic? The caption says Krieger but I think that just means warplane or something similar

Adrian

post-3755-1144884618.jpg

Siege Gunner

Well thats nailed it - the photo in your attachment is the same picture. Obviously the one I saw is coloured subsequently - I wonder how accurately.

I've never heard that any Krieger types entered front-line service.

Thanks

Adrian

Adrian,

The RAF Museum thesaurus of aircraft manufacturers lists three Krieger aircraft: the Krieger Eindecker (monoplane), which is the one in your pic, the Krieger Renneindecker (racing monoplane) and the Krieger Taube. I've never been quite sure whether a Taube was a type or a specific aircraft, as they seem to have been built by several manufacturers. Perhaps you could enlighten me, and if it was a specific aircraft whose manufacture was spread among several companies, then it looks as though the Krieger brothers built some of them too.

regards

Mick

Mick

The Taube was what might best described as a style of aeroplane, rather than a specific design, though all were based on the 1910 design of the Austrian Igo Etrich. There were a number of Taube machines, produced by different manufacturers, including DFW, Etrich, Halberstadt and Rumpler. All were monoplanes distinguished by birdlike swept-back wings and long, fan-shaped tails. Approximately 500 Tauben were built for the German armed forces and a number were also used by the Austro-Hungarians.

A photograph of a Krieger Taube, from Gray & Thetford's German Aircraft of the First World War, is below.

I hope that this helps.

Gareth

post-45-1144977051.jpg

Thanks Gareth. 'Taube' is German for 'dove', which, I presume, is why the name was applied to this style of bird-like monoplanes. Did the Krieger 'Taube' see front-line service ?

regards

Mick

Mick

As far as I can determine, the Kreiger Taube wasn't used on active service. At least, I can't find mention of the type in action. However, it's not completely out of the question, as there are 1914 references to aeroplanes as being a Taube without mention of the manufacturer.

Regards

Gareth