Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Several American units - what can you tell me about them

John_Hartley

My grandfather (Tom Brough) served with 17/Manchester from 1915 until his demob in 1919. This may well make him one of the final cadre which was involved in training newly arrived US units between mid-May 1918 and the late summer of 1918. The Battalion War Diary makes reference to the units and I'd be interested in finding out some brief details of them. They are described as "USNG" which I assume means National Guard so can anyone tell me which States they came from (and anything else "interesting" - like did they get good training):-

2/140th & 3/140th Infantry Regiments (35th Division)

1/132nd & 2/132nd Regiments

123rd Machine Gun Battalion

3/129th Infantry Regiment

Thanks

John

Hi John,

The 140th Regiment was a component of the 35th Division which was National Guard from Kansas & Missouri. Qualified for the Meuse-Argonne and St. Mihiel victory medal bars as well as the Defensive Sector.

132nd, 129th Regiments and 123rd Machine Gun Battalion were components of the 33rd Division, Illinois National Guard. Qualified for the Somme Offensive, Meuse-Argonne and Defensive Sector Bars.

Although the battalion was used for tactical reasons in the AEF (each regiment had 3 battalions) the basic unit was the company, then regiment.

So the 1/ notation wouldn't have been used.

Hope this helps,

Neil

Very true Andy, but he was an artilleryman. The AEF artillery units were trained seperately from the AEF infantry.

Neil