Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Attack on Dutch submarine

Regulus 1

Hi,

An interesting story of the Seeflugstation Zeebrugge on the 15th December 1916 :

At 10.45 a strange type of submarine is noticed out of the Dutch territorial water, which dives immediately after it sees the seaplane. The crew directly saw that it wasn’t a German sub and started immediately to attack it with 50 rounds of MG fire, while part of it was still above water. After this the sub surfaces partially, after which is seen that it concerns a Dutch U-boat. Two Dutch torpedoboats are nearing and opening directly fire on the seaplane, that returns to base.

What Dutch U-boat was attacked ? Which Dutch torpedoboats were also involved ? Any clues ?

Thanks and best from Johan

Hello Johan,

this attack is shortly mentioned in the german "Der Krieg zur See" (because of the following diplomatic troubles), but without any details at all.

So I can't help you with the identity of the dutch sub.

But do you have the number and crew of the german seaplane?

Oliver Lörscher

Hi Oliver,

Unfortunately not, the War Diary of the sea operations didn't mention anything on plane, number or crew. These are left out most of the time... except for aerial victories.

Johan,

is it from the War Diary of the Seeflugstation or from the Marine-Korps ?

I know from War Diary's from f.e. Borkum, that every single take-off including pilot/observer was recorded.

So if you only have seen the Marine-Korps Diary the answer should be in the Seeflugstation Diary (RM 112/... at the Bundesarchiv Freiburg).

But also there no answer on the identification of the dutch sub :(

Oliver

Oliver,

As you mentioned it comes from the KTB of the Marinekorps RM120/... See Operationen 1914/1916. I also have part of the KOFL Tätigkeitsberichte (nov 1917/Sept 1918) and the Tagesbefehl Marine Luftfahrt Abteilungen 1916/1918, bits and part on the coastal batteries, some Seeflugstation Zeebrugge reports, some lists of personnel of the balloons, etc,etc. But no KTB Seeflugstation Flandern I... :(

Meanwhile I've contacted the Marinemuseum archive of the Dutch Navy, to see if they can help me further on this matter.