Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Absentee Voter Lists ....

dorisj7

I have read several posts which make references to AVL. Tried google but not right responses. Is there someplace you can access this on the web....

Doris

P. S. Really enjoying this site. As a new member, reading many posts not family related to be come a little more knowledgeable (SLIGHTLY). The information on this site is incredible. Great to be even an uninformed member. :)

Sorry Doris, you will need to visit a local archive, and then it is a matter of luck if they have one.

Who, what are where are you researching?

Doris

Leeds absent voters list can be accessed here

Regards Kevin

Thank you to Kate and Kevin for your replies. Much appreciated.

Kate: Researching my grandfather John Thomas Robbins 185671 Cpl RGA . Born June 28, 1880 Rutland, married 1903 and living in Bishops Stortford area. Medal card(London Gazette) lists his hometown as Kensal Rise.

I was recently looking for where the Bethnal Green ABVs were. I get the impression that the London ABVs are held in the Guild Hall. I've not however had time to go look.

Thank you to Kate and Kevin for your replies. Much appreciated.

Kate: Researching my grandfather John Thomas Robbins 185671 Cpl RGA . Born June 28, 1880 Rutland, married 1903 and living in Bishops Stortford area. Medal card(London Gazette) lists his hometown as Kensal Rise.

Doris

A bit more info for you - Kensal Rise is an area in North London roughly between North Kensington and Kilburn.

Have you found him in the 1901 census? If not I'll be glad to have a look.

Jim

Dances with Gophers: Please let me know what you find when you go to Guild Hall.

Jim : Yes, think found him on the 1901 census, as a boarder in Northfield but not sure if it is the right John Robbins. Would appreciate if you would have a look and see what you can find. A new pair of eyes might see better.

Thanks to all

Doris

:rolleyes:

Dances with Gophers (Interesting handle! I have a garden full of the little blighter's)

I've been looking for the AVL for Wood Green for about 3 years with no luck so far. Not heard about The Guild Hall before. Would you also let me know what you find out.

Regards,

Paul S.

I was recently looking for where the Bethnal Green ABVs were. I get the impression that the London ABVs are held in the Guild Hall. I've not however had time to go look.

I don't think that's the case. There are some in the London Metropolitan Archives in Clerkenwell and incomplete national set in the British Libarary.

Otherwise the London ones can sometimes be found in local archives.

I have a list of the LMA holdings somewhere - I'll check it out and let you know.

Mike

Jim : Yes, think found him on the 1901 census, as a boarder in Northfield but not sure if it is the right John Robbins. Would appreciate if you would have a look and see what you can find. A new pair of eyes might see better.

Doris

I'm pretty sure the John Robbins you found in Northfield, Worcs in 1901 is NOT your grandfather John Thomas Robbins - who appears to have been born in Cottesmore, Rutland, not Stow-on-the-Wold. I can't find any other likely candidates on the National Archive or ancestry indexes.

On the 1881 (on the familysearch site) this looks like the family, living at Pickwell & Leesthorpe, Leics:

Albert Robbins, Head, 38, Domestic Service Coachman, born Bradwell, Oxfordshire

Harriet Robbins, Wife, 31, born Cottesmore, Rutland

John Thomas Robbins, 9 mth, Born Cottesmore, Rutland

In 1891 (from the ancestry site) they appear to be living at Hadham Road, Bishops Stortford, Herts, with the following additional members:

Albert Hutchings, 12, stepson

Albert W. Robbins, 9, son

Ethel M. Robbins, 7, dau

Charles H. Robbins, 4, son

Alfred S. Robbins, 1, son

1901 finds Albert and Harriet still in B Stortford with sons Alfred S. Robbins (11) and Charles H. Robbins (14).

And John Thomas Robbins' marriage appears to be recorded in the June quarter of 1903, see below.

post-2135-1145055878.jpg

Have you got his marriage cert?

Was he a regular soldier when married? If so, perhaps his apparent absence from the 1901 census could be due to his being on active service in S. Africa?

Hope some of this helps. Please keep us informed on the progress of your research.

Regards

Jim

Jim

Thanks for all the information. I had the info of his marriage from the ancestry site,but not sent for cert. This is the right one , as my grandmother was Edith Mary Curtis. I really do not know if he was a regular soldier. The little I know was that he was wounded in the War but survived.

Thought I had his medal cards , which shows him going to France in 1915. The mystery keeps coming.

If you have access, I would really appreciate a copy of the 1891 census that shows the household at that time.

The copy of the 1901 census that I had downloaded was not very clear , that was why I was not sure of being the right person, place of birth was very hard to read. thanks again

Doris :huh:

If you have access, I would really appreciate a copy of the 1891 census that shows the household at that time.

Doris

If you PM me your email address I'll send you the 1891 image.

Jim