Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Black Watch under Gen. Allenby

Guest scotty c

Guest scotty c

I'm tring to find which battalions of the Black Watch served in the middle east under Gen.Allenby.I know my grandfather,John Cramb from Dunblane served in "c" company (thats whats written on the company photo I have along with a handwritten note at the bottom saying "most of these men died in France" ). He always said he was in the victory parade as Allenby entered Jerusalem and my dad remembers a photo he had (now lost) of ranks at attention,pipers marching ,and Allenby on a horse.

I tried the campaign medal search but the only J. or John Cramb's I found were Royal engineers, were some men transfered from regimental divisions to the engineers ?

Ewan Cramb (formerly Stirling UK) Hamilton OH USA

Guest scotty c
2nd BW from January 1918 and 14th BW from March 1917.

Aye

Malcolm

Thanks Malcom,It was the 14th..Fife and Forfar Yeomary . I looked them up on the UK regiments history web site.

Guest scotty c

Now I'm getting confused. The photo I have Is "C company,black watch ,Monzie camp 1914",seemingly the 14th did'nt exist till 1917..so I'm assuming that grandpa started in the 2nd battalion and served in Mesopotania (he always said he fought the Turks) and was transfered to the 14th in 1917 and maybe to a RE regiment as he was a stonemason..I dont know It can be very confusing at times !

Scotty,

As you are probaby aware, the Fife & Forfar Yeomanry became the 14th Bn the Black Watch

hope this helps

Tom McC

Guest scotty c

Thanks Tom,I've even forgotten my original goal in doing all this research !

Just a few old photos started the ball rolling and some young memories of grandpa's stories (he died in 1975) and dads mention of "he had a wee tin box" I guess thats where the medals were !

Brigadier James British Regiments 1914 -1918 gives:

1/1st Fife and Forfar Yeomanry.

Battle Honours:

Gallipoli 1915

Egypt 1915-17

Palestine 1917 - 18

France & Flanders 1918

Formed 4/8/1914 at Kirkaldy: Highland Mtd Brigade. 12/8/1914 with Brigade to Blairgowrie then to Huntingdon area with Regiment at St Ives. November 1914 to Licolnshire with Brigade and with Regiment at Skegness.April 1915 to north Norfolk at Fakenham. August 1915 dismounted and horses to 2nd Line unit and remount depot. 8/9/1915 sailed from Devonport. 18/9/1915 at Alexandria. 26/9/1915 landed at Gallipoli December 1915 to Egypt. February 1916 Highland Mtd Brigade became 2nd Dismounted Brigade.

21/12/1916 became 14th (Fife and Forfar Yeomanry ) Battalion the Black Watch in 229th Brigade, 74th Division 7/5/1918 the Division landed at Marseilles and remained in France in 74th Division until the end of the war.

14th ( Fife and Forfar Yeomanry ) Battalion The Black Watch.

Formed at Moascar, Egypt from the dismounted yeomanry regiment. To 229th Brigade, 74th Division. May 1918 to France arriving Marseilles 7/5/1918. 11/11/1918 near Tournai, Belgium, 229th Brigade, 74th Division.

Aye

Malcolm

Guest scotty c

Thanks again Malcom,you've been very helpfull.

My Brother is going to email the photos we have (my scanner died) so I'll post them as soon as I get them.

I have a few questions regaring the photos so hopefully all you folks on here can be as helpful as you certainly have been .

Thanks again Ewan

Scotty,

Please have a look at the following:

http://www.comradesandcolleagues.com/Obitu...ed_Anderson.asp

It has an interesting reference to Monzie

Your grandfather could have been a pre-war territorial and posted to any regiment of the Black Watch from the depot. I may be that it just so happens that he went to the Fife & Forfar Yeomanry(formed the 14th Bn Black Watch - New Year 1917).

hope this helps

Tom McC

Guest scotty c

Thanks Tom..I did see that earlier today and the background of the soldiers photo looks very similar to the one I have of my grandfather (and another soldier). wonder why his was taken with another soldier ? and his hat is different..looks like he has a "skiff" the other guy has a glengary. Apart from that ,both uniforms are identical.There is no date or location on the photo.

thanks again, Ewan