Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Mind Boggles

ColynB

Hi

Sorry for the delay.

Regarding my previous posting some weeks ago, and the request for a piccy of the mans life history found on a rubbish tip near Cape Town. See the attached photograph.

regards

post-11486-1144814379.jpg

the mind does boggle that someone could throw something like this on a rubbish tip

Just to spice things up a little, the small blackened disc center right is a Bronze Life Saving medal from 1938!

The three Medals on the upper left are Scholastic medals from a Liverpool school and are dated 1901, 1902 and 1903. The 3 large certificates are Temperance Awards.

Amongst the other stuff that we found was a set of over 50 photographs (official) taken during the Anzio landings during WWII. These have been presented to the SA Navy Museum in Simonstown. It sems that one of the sons was an Official Photographer. On the back of the piccies was a declaration 'not for public release'.

Yes indeed I am lucky, but mainly history is lucky that this material was not destroyed. During my travels photographing War Graves I have found hundreds of Boer War iron crosses with the Bronze name plate missing. In dozens of cases the cross has been cut away from the cement base.

Regards from Cape Town

Madness !

At least it is now in safe hands.

lucky guy !

Peter