Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service Number

Guest derekbarnett

Guest derekbarnett

Hello everybody,

I'm new here so please bear with me if this is old ground.

I'm trying to get a copy of the medal record of my great uncle who served in the First World War, but firstly I need to find out his service number.

His details are

Name John Allan

DOB 6th April 1888

Birthplace Perth, Scotland

and, according to his marriage certificate, he was a Private with the 6th Labour Company.

He survived the war (so searching the Commonwealth War Graves site is out), and emigrated to the US in 1921. Whether or not he served in the Second World War, I don't know.

Any advice as to how I might obtain his service number would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Derek

Derek,

First of all, welcome to the forum.

If you check the online medal index cards (MIC), there's 38 John Allan's with a Labour Corp connection. If you know his middle initial, it'll help narrow down the search.

The MIC's are £3.50 each, but you get 6 to a sheet. Have lok and see what you think......

John Allan MIC details

Les.

I had a similar problem which was resolved by using Absentee Voter Lists (AVL's). If you know where he lived in 1918 you can research the AVL for that area. Try contacting the local library as a start and also post here as some kind soul may happen to have a copy of the AVL for that area (that's how I got the info). The AVL will list his service number.

If you don't know where he lived then the first job is to find that out.

Hope that helps.

Phil

I need to double check with my RE numbers at home but I'm 80% sure he will be this one. The Royal Engineers Labour Companies were numbered between 110000 and 125000. They converted to Labour Corps in the middle of 1917.

Medal card of Allan, John

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Engineers 117168 Pioneer

Labour Corps 292560 Private

Aha, found the topic from before:

That confirms it. 6th Labour Company. 95% sure it's the right man, now.

Steve.