Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private Joseph Peverill's AIF Casualty Form

Jacky Platteeuw

I recieved a message from Australia about mentionned soldier. This lady will visit Ypres in May and would like to go as near as possible to the place where this soldier was killed. Beneath part of the message:

Private Joseph Peverill's AIF Casualty Form - Active Service (Army Form B 103), detailed below.

Joseph was a member of the 1st AIF, 4th Division, 12th Brigade, 45th Battalion (not sure of correct order!!) and was with the 12th ALTMB (Australian Light Trench Mortar Battery) when he fell

At the bottom of a handwritten copy of Form B 103, the following is noted:

Place of Burial

SSP 1434 AT 14972

SSP 1167 AT 14644

But at the bottom of a typewritten copy of Form B 103, which I presume came later, the following is noted:

Buried 114B

B4982

There is a short report in the Red Cross Wounded and Missing list which states that a witness 'saw Peverill killed by a shell. He was buried on Messines Ridge'.

Sure the Pall's will be able to help here.

Jacky

According to Bean's Official Histories, the 12th Brigade (of which the 12th ALTMB was a part) was in action just east of Messines around the Oostteverne Line/Hun's Walk area on the 7-8th June 1917.

I haven't got access to any reasonable maps at the moment but this might give you a reasonably specific area. If you check out the Official Histories on the Aust War Memorial site you'll be able to read the details of the action and view the basic maps included in the text. With luck this will help you narrow down the area even further.

Hopefully some of the references you quoted in you post are map co-ordinates and if they cross reference to this same area then the chances are you've found your spot.

Good Luck,

Tim L.

And here's the best trench map of the area that I could find at short notice. I'm sure someone else will be able to give you a more detailed map.

The blue circle marks the approximate area.

Tim L.

post-2918-1144760100.jpg