Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

First 'official issue' RFC Goggles?

Guest trenchfoot

Guest trenchfoot

Hi, just got a pair of goggles, Red rubber, thin brown elastic strap, they are either a pair I HOPE! of those first issue goggles or they are poss something such as ww11 firemans anti-splinter goggles in which case i have wasted my money. Does anyone have a pair? or a good image of these? I cannot post image at the moment.

As seen, POSSIBLY! in 'BRITISH AIR FORCES 1914-1918 (2) by ANDREW CORMACK and PETER CORMACK.

I have something similar to the goggles you describe, red rubber with circular lenses and a thin brown elastic strap. These were my grandfathers 'Anti Gas Goggles' made by Siebe Gorman, this name is moulded into the rubber between the eye pieces above the nose

Dave H.

Guest trenchfoot

Hi Dave, there are no markings on my goggles at all ,is the strap on your pair in two parts with a catch at the rear to join ? is the strap moulded into the rubber ? is there a single rivet each side to strengthen the join ? are your lenses definitly round ? mine are slightly elongated. did your grandfather use these ? if so when/where, Any chance of a picture ?

Hi

I will have a look in the morning, to be honest It's been a while since I've handled them, they are in a box in the loft. I dont remember them having a two part strap though. or the rivet.

The family are away for the weekend and I'll try and organise a pic on the return of 'the expert' (he's 16 and does all things electronic with the ease I had when mending punctures in my push bike!)

Dave.

Guest trenchfoot

Thanks for reply, don't worry too much if you can't find them, i will trawl through some of the other books/publications i have!...Been trying to log on to 'The Aerodrome' ww1 sight but can't for some reason.....

Guest trenchfoot

Another POSS wearer of these goggles seen in, 'A Contemptible little flying corps' by, I. Mc Innes. and J.V. Webb, page 425, worn by, Robert John Hayne Holland, A direct entrant into RFC 1914.

There has to be a good / clear image of these goggles out there SOMEWHERE ! ! In someones collection perhaps ?.....

Hi

Have found my pair, will photogragh soon, they have a double BLACK elastic strap (not as i thought, the power of suggestion eh !) BUT....

you may/may not want to view item No 6622393810 (up in three days)

on EBAY they look very similar to your description

Dave.

post-10412-1145478398.jpeg

Have tried to add the photo from the auction seller states Navy Gunners goggles WW2/Korea

Dave

Guest trenchfoot

Hi Dave, Oh dear ! All my dreams shattered !! mine are very like the ones on Ebay!! I have sent seller a message asking if she is 100% sure they are ww11 naval gunners goggles but i expect they will turn out to be !

Thanks for help/ replies anyway

Duncan.

then again, On the other hand,if seller is wrong and these goggles are earlier than ww11/Korea, could they have been issued/used by Navy as well?................................................................................

.....................i think i'm going to go MAD! I saw a pair of white rubber motoring goggles on another sight, circa 1905 in a similiar style.

Guest trenchfoot

Asked seller of above goggles for more pictures,they actually look MORE like RFC goggles than mine !!!! basically same but have small lumps on each side of front frame, whereas mine dont !!! These are very visible in period photographs in the reference books i mentioned

He also says his grandfather was ground crew in RNAS!!!!!!!!

Guest trenchfoot

But are they !!!!!!!!!!! seem to be one of those items noone will ever be sure about........................ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Probably some record of supply deep in some company vaults somewhere! poss the company who made those cream motoring goggles

Think i better end this thread now !!.............fin...................

BILLHOOKS!! Did try and buy but was outbid!