Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

two WW1 tanks found

paul guthrie

A Colorado National Guard soldier in Afganistan found these in a military junkyard in Afganistan. They are French FT 18 tanks, from picture they are Renault. They are now at the Patton Armor Museum at Fort Knox, Kentucky. At least one will be restored to running condition. They have original engines tracks and key parts but weapons are missing.

Good news eh?

Thanks for the link. There is no date on the story, it says FT 17, article in our paper says 18. Also both tanks are here contrary to what is said there. Article also implies tanks were used by US forces, I really doubt this is known.

Do the Renault records survive - or has the paintwork has revealed something?

Or maybe the journo has got all his/her facts wrong and made a 'better' story.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

To the Victor belongs the spoils............I wonder what the restoration project will entail, whether it will be purely cosmetic or an attempt will be made to fully mechanise them?

Ian

As far as I know there are already a few FT17's in the States, at the Aberdeen

Proving Ground and I believe there is a runner in a private collection as I have

a video on it. There is certainly one in the Royal Army Museum in Brussels and

another in the German Military Technology Museum in Klobenz.

Geoff

Ian, see post one, at least one will be restored to running condition. I'll be there the day it runs, did my basic and radio operator training there and have not been back since but will for this.

Guest Ian Bowbrick
Ian, see post one, at least one will be restored to running condition. I'll be there the day it runs, did my basic and radio operator training there and have not been back since but will for this.

Paul - You were in the Afghan Army? :D

Seriously though it would be great it you could video it and paly it on the Forum?

Ian