Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gelibolu (Gallipoli)

MartinWills

Gelibolu (Gallipoli)

For several years the noted Turkish film director, Tolga Ornek, was working on a film about the 1915 Gallipoli Campaign. High expectation sat on his shoulders as well it might with many organisations such as the Imperial War Museum; Australian War Memorial and others involved in the project including major historians of the campaign. The bulk of the filming on location was done in September 2004 and as a visitor to the peninsula at the time it came as a surprise to find barbed wire defences temporarily erected on W beach (of Lancashire Landing fame)

The somewhat stereotypical and inaccurate representations of the campaign on film such as Peter Weir's “Gallipoli” with Mel Gibson have ill served those who fought there. This release is a revelation in that sense. We are taken through the campaign in the eyes of a handful of soldier representatives from Turkey; Australia; New Zealand and the UK; the latter represented by the irrepressible Joe Murray of the Hood Battalion, Royal Naval Division and Guy Nightingale of the Royal Munster Fusiliers. The film concentrates on the soldier experience rather than a strategic overview of the campaign and you almost feel you are suffering there with them. Much of the narrative is in the words of the men who served and we see the territory "then and now". Some anonymous and effective re-creations of battlefield scenes add to the understanding of the experience. Add to this some expert commentary - Peter Hart's bold descriptions of flies, disease, dysentery and latrines are graphic in the extreme - and you have a bold, brilliant, beautifully filmed account of what Gallipoli must have been like from both sides.

The film is one of the first to bring out the Turkish side and underlines that they were not the contemptible third rate army we often imagine. I have a few reservations, however. There is very little coverage of Naval aspects after the landings when the ships continued to play a major part throughout the campaign providing extensive heavy artillery support. The German commander in chief (Liman von Sanders) and the German officers scattered through the Turkish army are never mentioned. The French, who lost many more soldiers than the combined Australian and New Zealand forces, are only mentioned in passing at the time of the April landings. Lastly in the superbly effective recreations machine guns only ever seem to fire in slow motion or as single shots - something which can only really be done by removing every alternate round from the belt and which negates the purpose of the weapon. These are minor issues, however, and the film should be embraced by all with any interest in the Great War.

Those interested in Joe Murray's excellent memoir should search out a copy of Gallipoli 1915 (recently reprinted by Cerberus books). It's a thundering good read and brings the campaign to life through the words of a survivor whose accuracy of recall was phenomenal.

It was premiered in Istanbul in March last year and was still playing to good houses in the cinema well into June and beyond. I cannot recommend it too highly even though the film footage of me in the water at W beach ended up on Tolga Ornek’s cutting room floor.

Details of the film can be found at http://www.gallipoli-film.com and there are some fine stills and poster to download. The DVD has very been released in Turkey but not in the UK as yet. Copies of the Turkish release can be found on Ebay and include choice of English or Turkish language in the menus.

For those who want to explore Gallipoli on film beyond Mel Gibson’s "pommy bashing" heroics it is well worth seeking out the 1930’s film “Tell England" which, to great effect, used the resources of the Royal Navy to recreate the Gallipoli Landings. It tells a tale of two public schoolboys who grow up together and go to fight at Gallipoli. The recreated scenes are excellent, though it does not outline the history of the campaign. It’s not available on DVD or video but it is occasionally shown at the Imperial War Museum in London.

I cannot recommend it too highly even though the film footage of me in the water at W beach ended up on Tolga Ornek’s cutting room floor.

I have some of the stills of Martin that I can post on the Forum.

My copy of the dvd is on order. Expected to arrive this week.

Jonathan - most interested to get your view of the DVD.

However, is the Forum ready for graphic pictures of Martin in his bathing-suit ? I will leave that to your discretion !

Jonathan - most interested to get your view of the DVD.

However, is the Forum ready for graphic pictures of Martin in his bathing-suit ? I will leave that to your discretion !

Ian I think not, but its a strong card to hold and I am not beyond bribery.

Was it the stripey one that buttons-up at the neck?

Oh please Jon!!!!

Hear your Wellington is coming together!

ETA this Sunday at Duxford. Cant wait to pass it on to the brother of the man whose plane it represents (lost over Flensburg in Aug 1942).

Alison should be Sainted!