Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New film on Gallipoli

delta

I have read a report on the latest WFA stand-to abut a new film on Gallipoli made by a Turkish company. Has any one seen it, is it good and, if so, is a video or DVD available?

Stephen

I have read a report on the latest WFA stand-to abut a new film on Gallipoli made by a Turkish company. Has any one seen it, is it good and, if so, is a video or DVD available?

Stephen

Stephen

I've seen Gallipoli, and found it to be very good. An advertisement in our weekend papers told me that it's available on DVD this week, at least in Australia. Perhaps the release was timed for ANZAC Day.

Regards

Gareth

Guest Bill Woerlee

Mates

On Fox History Channel they are showing a range of docos - one being the new doco on Gallipoli. The reviews ar good.

Cheers

Bill

Stephen

The report was a bit misleading, not least in omitting to mention that Joe Murray of the RND is one of the featured men. (Had the reviewer actually seen it??)

It ran in the Istanbul cinemas for at least three months and has now been issued on DVD (though not in the UK as yet - though I expect it will be released soon. Turkish copies are available and as out pals on the peninsula pointed out a a while ago you just select the the english language

You will find details at http://www.gallipoli-film.com and can download stills; posters wallpaper etc. Indeed I have a print of one of the posters before me as I write.

I'm sure a review will emerge under book reviews (we don't have film reviews as yet....) The film is certainly more objective than Peter Weirs flawed "Gallipoli" and I would recommend it to all despite a few minor reservations.

One point, though. It is not mealtime viewing; well certainly not the bit where Peter Hart explains what flies, dysentery, disease and latrines really were like at Gallipoli

Mates

On Fox History Channel they are showing a range of docos - one being the new doco on Gallipoli. The reviews ar good.

Cheers

Bill

It will be shown on Anzac Day at 730pm on the History Channel.

I saw it when it was released in Sydney. It was an excellent account of events in Gallipoli. It was refreshing to get a view from the Turkish side. I found some parts to be very moving. I ended up seeing it twice.