Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ASC/RASC Units - 'F', 'A' and 'H' Supply Coys

Guest pmcrory

Guest pmcrory

My Great uncle was a career soldier and served from the Boer War as an infantryman and throughout the Great War in Flanders as part of the BEF with the ASC/RASC. He was promoted sergeant on mobilisation in Aug 1914 and soon shipped out to France/Belgium. The RLC Museum copies of the Corps journal only give his units as part of the generic 'Ex. Force', and later the BEF. At the outbreak of war I know he was serving in 'F' Supply Coy: he was a Supplier by trade (Army no. S-22250), but I have no idea what heppened to him after deployment. Can anyone help with the movements of that unit? Subsequently he is mentioned as being in 'A' Coy (Aldershot, I think) in 1920, as an SSM, and was eventually demobbed from 'H' Supply Coy in York, in 1924, after 26-yrs service.

He also served in Russia in 1919, which I am particularly interested in. Which RASC units could he have been with there? Would a service medal have been awarded for this expedition? It is not included on his rack of 7 that I have.

Many thanks for any info. Paul

Hi Paul and welcome to the Forum

I will check my copy of the Corps history and come back to you on Monday (its in the office)

Stephen

According to Mike Young's hisstory of the ASC (1902-18) tThere were two supply depots in Russia; the Main or Base Supply Depot was in Bakharita near Murmansk with an Advances Supply Depot in Archangel. These were in susuport of a briagde size unit sent to prevent the Germans from (a) using the Kola inlet as a submairine base and (B) assist the anti-Bolshevik forces thereby ensuring that the German couldnot withdraw entirely from the Ruiiisn frojnt (and thereby allow all their resources to be laid against the Allies on the Western front.

Despite a few skirmishes nothing was achieved and the units were withdrawn in 1919.

Thanks Delta; a few nuggets there. What about the campaign medal thing? Does your book also throw any light on his Great War service with the BEF? Could any of the supply companies mentioned ('F', 'A' and 'H')have seen active service; or maybe they were depot/peacetime companies from which men were sent forward. Thanks again. Paul

The History gives little detail about the supply companies/depots and none on your great uncle. However, it does state that the majoriity of supply tradesmen deployed to France and they were heavily reinforced by those who volunteered or were conscripted.

As a career man , your GU would have been key to the effective running of a Depot, wherever he was. The seven medals will give us a clue. what did he have? I would like to hope one is a 1914 star.

Yes indeed. He had prior service in the Leinsters and Irish Guards from the Boer War, so he has the QSA and KSA from there; he has the Great War Trinity, including the 1914 Star; and the LS&GC and MSM. Quite a collection really, spread over 26yrs. He had an MiD from 1916, which is missing (and even lloks like was never mounted) from his Victory Medal. Just wondering if anything representing 1919 Russian service was also missing. Paul