Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lt L. G. Robertson - 10th Gordon Highlanders at Loos

barrieduncan

Hi folks,

I've come across a letter printed in a newspaper, from 2/Lt L G Robertson of the 10th Gordon Highlanders to the family of one of his soldiers who had been killed at Loos. I'm trying to find out 2nd Lt Robertsons full name so I can do a bit of research on him. I'v found an L G Robertson who was killed with the KOSB in 1917, but I want to confirm if this is him or not.

I downloaded an MIC for an L G Robertson, 2nd Lt, Gordon Highlanders. Problem is, it still don't give his name!

post-9547-1144506413.jpg

Thats assuming it is the correct man of course.

The MIC shows a London Gazette entry for an MID, I cant find the reference even with the date and page number. Any chance one of our London Gazette experts (you know who you are guys :P ) could have a bash at finding him?

I'm also wondering, should there be other MIC's for this chap, and do I have any chance of finding them without a full name?

Thanks

Barrie

Hey Ian,

Problem is I don't know if this is the same L G Robertson as the one in the Gordon Highlanders. I guess I could check the MICs for the above, see if it lists Gordons as a previous unit, but don't really want to spend £3.50 on the wrong guy.

Cheers,

Barrie

Here's the Gazette page:

GORDON HIGHLANDERS (SERVICE BATTALIONS).

Wallace, Temporary Lieutenant-Colonel H. R.

Longman, Lieutenant (temporary Captain) H. K., Reserve of Officers.

Boyd, Temporary Second Lieutenant P. B.

Gordon, Temporary Second Lieutenant F. W.

Husband, Temporary Second Lieutenant J. S.

Robertson, Temporary Second Lieutenant L. G.

Wood, Temporary Second Lieutenant J. B.

Rodger, No. 3/7202 Company Serjeant-Major J.

Young, No. S/5658 Company Serjeant-Major J.

Young, No. S/5350 Serjeant A. J.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

The MIDs are grouped by battalions, though not identified as such. All the above men would have been in the same battalion.

Steve.

How about this chap?

Medal card of Robertson, Lennox George

Corps Regiment No Rank

Gordon Highlanders Second Lieutenant

Gordon Highlanders Acting Lieutenant

Gordon Highlanders Captain

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...&resultcount=40

Steve.

Gazette entries:

LG 21-8-1917

Gord. Highrs.

Temp. Lt. L. G. Robertson, M.C., from a Serv. Bn., to be temp. Lt. (attd.). 25 July 1917, with seniority 26 Sept. 1915.

LG 29-5-1918

Lt. L. G. Robertson, Gord. Highrs., to be actg. Capt. (with pay and allowances as Lt.) whilst empld. as Adjt. 13th May 1918.

Steve.

Now isn't this apt!

The Times 26-11-1915

post-6536-1144512603.png

I think that settles it. I'll try and find his "Obituary".

Steve.

The "Obituary" of L G Robertson could be for Lennox George or could be the other LG Robertson with the wrong name attached...

post-6536-1144512984.jpg

Steve.

That actually doesn't make it much clearer.

I can't find the death of the "other" L G Robertson, and in any case either of them could have written the letter after Loos if he was killed on 17-11-1915.

Hmmm...

Steve.

That actually doesn't make it much clearer.

I can't find the death of the "other" L G Robertson, and in any case either of them could have written the letter after Loos if he was killed on 17-11-1915.

Hmmm...

Steve.

Perhaps this man is the 'other' bloke?

Name: ROBERTSON, GORDON

Initials: G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Gordon Highlanders

Unit Text: 10th Bn.

Date of Death: 17/11/1915

Additional information: Son of David and Anna Mary Robertson (nee Gordon), of The Cottage, Flookersbrook, Chester.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. M. 11.

Cemetery: VERMELLES BRITISH CEMETERY

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=252402

Rgds

Tim D

Hey,

Looks like i'v missed a fair bit over the weekend, apologies for not replying sooner.

I confess, i'm still a bit confused with this. I can only find one L G Robertson on CWGC and he was in the KOSB, kia 30/7/16. The L G Robertson in the 'Mistaken Identity' article was in the KOSB, but it is dated 1915.

The family and address of the L G Robertson in that article are the same as the L G Robertson in the Obituary. Problem is, the MIC Steve linked to shows Lennox George Robertson as an Acting Captain, when the obituary shows him dying as a 2nd Lieutenant.

Steve, do you have the date for the Obituary entry for Lennox George?

Going by the info in the obit notice, I would have said this is def the man we'r looking for. The L G Robertson i'm looking for mentions that he himself was wounded at Loos.

Here is the letter if this helps anyone:

"Dear Mr Lawrie

Captain Pearson has just told me of your letter, and as I was in the action, and as your son was in my platoon, I thought it would be best for me to write myself. As you probably know, your son was a bomber. Just after we climbed out of our trenches, I saw him with the other bombers. We advanced right through Loos and were attacking Hill 70 when a message was sent to me that bombers were urgently needed on the right of our line. So I sent off all my bombers to help them. I know your son was among them as I spoke to him. From that time onwards I am afraid I did not see any of the bombers, but I questioned one of the survivors, and what happened was as follows:- Directly after the bombers arrived on the right they were able to bomb the enemy out of a small trench which was holding up our advance, and when this was accomplished the whole line, including your son, pushed forward, captured the Germans position on top of Hill 70, and swept right over the crest, advancing about 500 yards on the other side of the hill. It was in this forward position that we lost most of our men. Pte Ferguson, of number 13 Platoon of this company, who was next to your son, and who also was a bomber, says that he was hit by three or four bullets in the head at the same time, and died without saying anything. Please accept my most sincere sympathy in your great sorrow. Pte Lawrie was one of the best men I had and his loss is felt deeply out here. When I last saw and spoke to him he was perfectly cool under a most terrible fire, and was talking and joking just as if it was a field day; both he and all those brave fellows who gave their lives for their country on Hill 70 died like heroes. In conclusion I must apologise for not writing and informing you of this sad fact before, but I myself was hit on the far side of Hill 70 and I only rejoined my regiment last Wednesday. Again sympathising with you and all your family most deeply in your bereavement. I remain yours very sincerely, L G Robertson, 2nd Lieut."

Sorry if i'm being a bit dim, its monday morning :)

Barrie

The obituary article was on 24-11-1915.

My take on this is that Lennox George Robertson was wounded at Loos and Hill 70. The biographical details in the obtiuary are probably his. I note that it doesn't actually state anything about his actual death, only earlier information.

His details were posted instead of the "other" Robertson who was actually killed and is likely to be the Gordon Robertson that BlackBlue posted.

In fact, just found this:

Times 8-12-1915

CORRECTION

Sec. Lt. G. L. Robertson, 10th Gordon Highlanders, reported killed, should read Sec. Lt. Gordon Robertson, att. 10th Gordon Highlanders.

(The G L is their mistake, again... At least it confirms Gordon Robertson is the man who died.)

Anyway, I believe that "your" L G Robertson is Lennox George Robertson.

Steve.

Bloody hell he's good.

:o

Steve strikes again.

Rgds

Tim D

Wow! What can I say. Thanks alot for all the help, would never have got half that stuff on my own.

I have just noticed, and I'm kicking myself that I missed it, that I have another letter from a Sergeant in the 10th Gordons, and he mentions two officers who have been MID; Captain Longman, and Lt Husband who are on the list of MID Steve listed in post 4.

Ah its all coming together :)

Cheers guys,

Barrie

I'v been practising on the London Gazette (wasting time at work if i'm brutally honest :) ) and I think i'm getting better.

Captain Longman turns out to be a Captain Henry Kerr Longman DSO, MC.

DSO = LG #30450 - 1st Jan 1918

MC = LG 14th Jan 1916

Been looking for info on the various men mentioned in Steve's MID list in post 4 and found quite a few DSO's, MC's and an MC and Bar - quite an illustrious lot :)

Still looking for L G Robertsons MC citation but I WILL find it...eventually!

Barrie - going slightly mad me thinks

Sorry folks, its me yet again.

I downloaded Lennox George Robertsons MIC hoping that it might give an LG reference for his MC, no such luck. Whats confusing me now is the fact that under the 1915 star entry in Action Taken, there seems to be some kind of mention of an emblem. Could this be reference to his MID oak leaves? I would have thought that was what the other card was for? Any ideas?

Barrie

post-9547-1144959420.jpg