Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battleship Texas

ackimzey

According to an article in today's Houston Chronicle, the Battleship Texas is in danger of rusting away. She is currently part of the Texas Parks system, berthed south of houston in a cut just off the Houston ship channel. In many places her metal sides are no more that 1/8" thick. Apparently the only way to permanently preserve the ship is to place it in a dry dock setting and this will cost many $$$$$$$$. The state hopes to start a campaign to raise the necessary funds. Let's hope they are successful as the Texas served valiently in both WWI and WWII.

Ann

According to an article in today's Houston Chronicle, the Battleship Texas is in danger of rusting away. She is currently part of the Texas Parks system, berthed south of houston in a cut just off the Houston ship channel. In many places her metal sides are no more that 1/8" thick. Apparently the only way to permanently preserve the ship is to place it in a dry dock setting and this will cost many $$$$$$$$. The state hopes to start a campaign to raise the necessary funds. Let's hope they are successful as the Texas served valiently in both WWI and WWII.

Ann

Well I hope so too. This being the only surviving example of her generation. It is a shame that HMS Iron Duke was not saved from the scrap or one of the 8x15 inch QE class or the slightly smaller and slower Royal Sovereigns.

It does sound like that the USS Texas has not received the amount of TLC required over the years. A recent History Channel broadcast of a programme supposedly inquiring into the causes behind the disastrous tendency of British battle-cruisers to blow up included film sequences shot inside Texas and the structure in parts certainly looked rather sad - this opinion from a chap used to serving in old ships.

The History Channel programme was rather like a 'curates egg', good in parts. It was full of repeated dialogue and of innacuracies and ommissions which if filled would have helped the explanation for those not appraised from other sources.

Keeping Victory in commission is an expensive business but well worth it IMHO. Only by visiting these ships can one get anywhere near the idea of what it was like to serve on such.

It was an utter shame that the Implacable (ex French Le Duguay-Trouin - also at Trafalgar in the Allied Fleet) was scuttled in 1949. We have also failed to preserve any example of the classic British aircraft carrier.

Here's a quick link with great graphics about the ship. For those interested there is also a link to donate money towards the restoration. Andy

Texas

Its never easy preserving old ships which are impregnated with salt and were never intended to last more than a couple of decades.

SS Great Britain, following her original restoration in the 70's, has now had to be treated with an electrolytic process to remove the salt, and taken out of the water permanently. They are going to have to do the same with the Cutty Sark at a cost of £11m (she has iron frames which are more of a problem than the wooden planking).

The Texas is of course much bigger than these. I wonder how Belfast is faring, or Japan's Mikasa?

Adrian

I'm not certain but I think this would be the largest (or second largest) ship to be placed in drydock, assuming the efforts to raise the money are successful.

Ann

• 2 months later...

More on the "Texas"

Today the Houston Chronicle carried two articles on the efforts to "save the Texas". There were also some great diagrams and pictures which unfortunately don't appear on the "web" version of the story. The link is posted below. Just enter Battleship Texas in the search window. The first two articles are the ones in today's paper.

Ann

http://www.chron.com/

Even if only a shell (meaning nothing inside actually working) I think these are incredible monuments to a by-gone era. They were at the time the most complex, integrated operation devices built by humans. They were the space ships of their day.

For the cost of one B-1 we could probably restore everything ...

I'll add a pic when I get home, but the USS Kentucky is in Norfolk harbor. Back in the day it hit another ship while heading out to sea. The repair included removing the bow from the USS Wisconsin - which was going tot he scrap heap and adding it to the Kentucky.

Since it was the front part (bow) of the Wisconsin the ship was 'renamed'

USS WisKy (Wisconsin in the front, Kentucky in the rear). Those punny seamen!! ;)

Andy

Andy

It is USS Wisconsin in Norfolk harbour. She rammed a destroyer in 1956 and had the bow of the uncompleted USS Kentucky grafted onto her. Thus the nickname should have been KyWis. Not such a ring to it. :rolleyes:

USS Wisconsin

Regards

Bob