Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Harry Lester, 13112 1st South Staffs

AndyJohnson

I wonder if our resident South Staffs or London Gazette experts could help me with this one.

SDGW has Harry Lester with MM, but no awards are recorded on the CWGC. The family 'think' he got a gallantry medal of some sort but aren't sure if it was an MM.

Harry joined up in 1915, and the photgraph below is of him recovering from wounds in an Exeter hospital in 1916. The austere lady standing behind him is his sister on a visit to see him in Exeter. He returned to the front and died of wounds on 13th May 1917 and is buried in Achiet-le-Grand.

Regards

Andy

post-5672-1144310929.jpg

something to consider:

Sometimes British troops were given a French galantry award, the Medaille Militaire (MM). This could can cause some confusion in your research

Nilis

He was awarded the Military Medal, but as a member of the 8th Battalion, not 1st South Staffs.

8/13112 Pte. H. E. Lester, 8th Bn., S. Staff. R.

Gazette #29608, dated 3 June 1916.

Link to Gazette is Here

Regards

Steve

If you're interested I've attached a Link to his two NA MIC's Here

Regards

Steve

CWGC will update their records as long as there is proper proof.

If Terry Denham doesn't see this you might want to send him a PM or e-mail.

Steve.

Gents

Thanks for your superb input. Unfortunately the Gazette site seems to be down at the moment. I will take up your suggestion of contacting the CWGC - will the Gazette entry (when I can get access) be sufficient proof for them do you think?

Strange way I came across this photograph - I went to visit an elderly lady who had got a photograph of a memorial to Pte Arthur Barnett (strangely enough from Tipton). In conversation she mentioned her Uncle who was killed in the Great War - and yes she had a photograph !

The memorial I wanted a photgraph of had been given to a local school when the church was demolished, and unforunately they put it in a skip during renovation some years ago as no-one left at the school knew its history until I wrote to them. Tragic. It was about 6 feet tall and made of metal - rather like a suit of armour.

post-5672-1144358094.jpg