Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Bn RFus Aug 1916

Guest cwise.genes@ntlworld.com

Guest cwise.genes@ntlworld.com

Hi guys,

My first post here so all help is apprecaited and my ignorance, I hope, is excused.

My cousins Mum was married in 1914 to a Lt. in 1st Batallion Royal Fusiliers named Hayes. He was in the "Special Reserve" - can any one tell me what that means?

It transpires he resigned his commission with the 3rd Buffs in 1910 when he would have been 21. His family are steeped in Military history, his Dad having been a much posted and decorated Surgeon Major and his Grandad ended up Hon. Captain and Quartermaster of the 83rd.

Claude Julian Patrick Hayes, known as Pat, died while Acting Captain and is buried at Bray Military Cemetery. All we have been able to find to date is his date of death 9th August 1916.

Is it possible some kind soul may have a record of what action he was involved in or how he died?

Thanks in anticipation

Colin

Colin, welcome to the forum. You will find a definition of the Special Reserve on the Long, Long Trail site - link top left of this page. Go to "Army organisation" and then "Army Reserves".

Claude Hayes death - and certainly the circumstances of it - may be mentioned in the battalion war diary. A forum member may have a copy. Let's see.

You would also benefit from locating his service record. It should be held at the National Archives in Kew.