Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capt A Seaton

mmm45

Hi

Am searching for a bit more info on Capt Alex Seaton KIA 4th Sept 1915 with the 1st Cambridgeshire Reg

His father was Vicar at St Johns Church Cleckheaton where he is on the war memorial.

He had moved away from the area and had a degree from Cambridge uni.

Can anyone add to this

Ta

Ady

Cliff Brown will have a file on him I have some info & will dig it out if I unless he gets to you first,his death was well reported in his local papers,with a good sized picture,his Medals are extant as I have knowledge of their whereabouts{I just missed them,about 20 years ago*$'@#!!}!

Here's some info for you...

Alexander Adam Seaton: Son of the late Rev John A Seaton, vicar of St John’s, Cleckheaton, Yorks & Mrs Eleanor Seaton, Roslyn, Halifax. Born Cleckheaton, Yorks. Attended Leeds Grammar School & went up to Pembroke College in 1903. In 1906 was placed in the First Class of the Classical Tripos, and in 1907 in the First Class of the Historical Tripos (Part II). He was Lightfoot University scholar in 1908 and won the Prince Consort prize in 1910, in which year he was elected to a Fellowship at Pembroke. Fellow & lecturer in Modern History, Pembroke College, Cambridge. Devoted himslef to historical studies and was soon appointed to a college lectureship in history. Served for some years in Cambridge University OTC. Probably loaned to 1st btn in Aug 1914 from CUOTC. Commissioned to Cambs Rgt from Cambridge University OTC, Sept 1914 to 2/1st btn, B coy. Requested for 1/1st btn Jan 1915, initially C coy. Lt Jan, 1915. Overseas with 1/1st btn 14-2-15, D coy, 15 platoon. T/Capt 10-4-15 (LG 19-6-15). Commanded D coy from 20-7-15. Capt, Wounded 3-9-15, DoW 4-9-15 (82nd Field Ambulance), age 31. Buried 6-9-15, Cite Bonjean Military Cemetery, France; Sgts of A coy were the bearers, D coy provided firing party, & Sgt-Dmr Tingey was bugler.

Col G L Archer wrote: “He was held in the greatest esteem by all. He was absolutely without fear. Not a solider by inclination, he left his peaceful life as a Fellow of Pembroke soley because he conceived that his duty lay tht way and the hour had come for every man to strike a blow for his country. I know that he, with most people, hated the business of war as such, but did not shrink from the great sacrifice.”

Photos in Cambridgeshire Times 17-9-15 & Cambridge Independent Press 17-9-15. Obit in The Times 17-9-15, pg 11.

A bit of additional info... gleaned from war diary

AUGUST 1915

30th: Into line Rue de Bois. Half battalion (B & D) in trenches, half (A & C) in billets in Rue Marle, Armentieres.

September 1915

3rd: D - party under Lt Formby go out to get prisoner, but fail.

4th: Capt A A Seaton wounded by 77mm shell & DoW.

A bit of additional info... gleaned from war diary

AUGUST 1915

30th: Into line Rue de Bois. Half battalion (B & D) in trenches, half (A & C) in billets in Rue Marle, Armentieres.

September 1915

3rd: D - party under Lt Formby go out to get prisoner, but fail.

4th: Capt A A Seaton wounded by 77mm shell & DoW.

Cliff outstanding thanks very much to you and Harry

Ady