Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Batt Lancs Fusiliers

mmm45

Hi

Can anyone please let me know if 1st Btn Lancs Fusiliers were still on the ground at Gallipoli around November 1915?

Thanks

Ady

Ady

According to Ray Westlake, yes they were the entry for November reads as follows

"In support and front line, In line near Dublin Castle during great storm(26th). War Diary records water entering trenches like a "tidal wave". Equipment swept away and several men drowned. Average depth of water notes as 4 feet (27th). Also noted work of Sgt C.A.Batham, who in command of stretcher bearers made numerous journeys waist deep in water to help sick and wounded. He was awarded the DCM.

Casualties - 20 drowned possibly no less than 19 frozen to death, 11 officers and 525 other ranks to hospital suffering from exposure. To reserve (28th)"

Hope this helps

Hambo

Ady

According to Ray Westlake, yes they were the entry for November reads as follows

"In support and front line, In line near Dublin Castle during great storm(26th). War Diary records water entering trenches like a "tidal wave". Equipment swept away and several men drowned. Average depth of water notes as 4 feet (27th). Also noted work of Sgt C.A.Batham, who in command of stretcher bearers made numerous journeys waist deep in water to help sick and wounded. He was awarded the DCM.

Casualties - 20 drowned possibly no less than 19 frozen to death, 11 officers and 525 other ranks to hospital suffering from exposure. To reserve (28th)"

Hope this helps

Hambo

Hambo thats great.

Im just trying to work out if my man would have been on the ground there. His MIC states entry to theatre 24th Nov 1915 the code is 4a which i have been told is Egypt.

How long would it have taken to get to the Dardanelles from there? He was definately a 1st Btn man Lancs Fusiliers and went on to serve on Western Front until Demob.

If they were experiencing casualties im sure he must have been sent over as a casualty replacement.

Ady

They didn't come out of theatre until the 2nd of January when they sailed on the Caledonia for Egypt. I don't know how long it took to get to the Dardanelles from Egypt but it can't have been more than a couple of days?? Given the number of men they lost to exposure in November I'd be surprised if they had no replacements before January

Hambo

Most diary entries I have read call it a three day voyage from Alexandria to Lemnos.

Since the evacuation was presumably a fact by early December, it`s unlikely they`d still be sending in reinforcements? 1st Bn embarked 14 Dec. Phil B