Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with Medal Card

apttony

Thomas William Fitzpatrick was my Great Uncle, and received his award for action at Mons 1914.

I can understand, and it is well recorded, that he was RQMS of the 2nd Royal Irish Regiment, and that he became a Temporary Captain in the West Yorks Regiment, though this is new information to me.

However, there is a lot of further information on his Medal Card (attached) that I do not understand. I would be grateful to anyone who can explain these items to me.

Many thanks

Tony

post-11814-1144268724.jpg

Tony

A large number of the references on the card are Army Medal Office notations/references and as such do not mean too much to us now.

The basic details that can be gleaned from his card is that he went overseas as 5637 RQMS Thomas William Fitzpatrick in the 2nd Battalion Royal Irish Regiment (date for disembarkation is tucked away in the bottom right hand corner and says 4th August 1914?).

He subsequently got a commission and achieved the final rank of Temp./Capt. (Brevet Major) in the West Yorkshire Regiment.

He qualified for the 1914 Star (with clasp and roses), the British War Medal and Victory Medal.

The card also points out that he was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal (with the Royal Irish Regiment) and there would appear to be the notation 'Emb' at the bottom of the card which indicates a Mention In Dispatches (I've had a look on the NA website and there would appear to be SIX MID cards for this man which would probably account for all the references at the bottom of the card.)

The NA website MID cards would also appear to indicate that he was first commisioned into the Royal Irish Regiment before transferring to the West Yorkshires.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Some London Gazette entries.....

A Russian award to go with his DCM?

London Gazette #29275, dated 25 August 1915.

Cross of the Order of Saint George, 3rd Class.

5637 Regimental Quartermaster-Serjeant (now Lieutenant) Thomas William Fitzpatrick, 2nd. Battalion, Royal Irish Regiment.

Link to the Gazette is Here

Promotions/Appointments etc...

London Gazette #29145, dated 27 Apr 1915.

Royal Irish Regiment.-

The promotion to the rank of temporary Lieutenant of the undermentioned Second

Lieutenants is antedated as follows: —

To the 20th October, 1914.

T. W. Fitzpatrick.

Link to the Gazette is Here

London Gazette #29542, dated 10 April 1916.

Assistant Provost Marshal—

(Graded for purposes of pay as a Staff Lieutenant, 1st Class.)

Lieutenant Thomas W. Fitzpatrick, The Royal Irish Regiment, and to be seconded.

Dated 24th February, 1916.

Link to Gazette is Here

London Gazette #29588, dated 19 May 1916.

Asst. -Prov. Marshals.—(Graded for purposes of pay as Staff Capts.).—

Lt. T. W. Fitzpatrick, R. Ir. Regt., and to be temp. Capt. whilst so empld., vice Capt. J. G. Dugdale, D.S.O., Res. of Off. 22nd Apr. 1916.

Link to Gazette is Here

London Gazette #30450, dated 1 Jan 1918.

To be Brevet Major on Promotion to Captain.

Lt. (A./Capt.) T. W. Fitzpatrick, R. Ir. R.

Link to Gazette is Here

Some more.....

London Gazette #30878, dated 2 Sep 1918.

R. Ir. Regt. -

The undermentioned to be temp. Capts.:-

15th Aug. 1918.

Lt. (temp. Maj.) T. W. Fitzpatrick, D.C.M.

Link to Gazette is Here

London Gazette #31218, dated 8 Mar 1919.

MEMORANDUM:.

War Office, 8th March, 1919.

Capt. (T./Major) T. W. Fitzpatrick, West York. Regt., to be Brevet Major, to date 10th Mar. 1919.

Link to Gazette is Here

London Gazette #31500, dated 11 Aug 1919.

ATTD. TO HD.-QR. UNITS.

Asst. Prov. Marshal. (Cl. FF.).—Bt. Maj. (temp. Maj.) T. W. Fitzpatrick, D.C.M., W. York. R., from (Cl. BB.), and to retain his temp. rank whilst so empld. 7th June 1919.

(Substituted for the notification in the Gazette of 26th June 1919.)

Link to Gazette is Here

Hope these help.

Regards

Steve

Steve,

Brilliant. Many thanks for all that.

I had already picked up some of the London Gazette references to other awards/medals he received, but knew nothing of the promotional references you list above or that there are 5 other MID cards.

I would be interested to know the technique you used to find these, and also whether it is possible to follow his career in the same way. I know he was Chief of Police in Cairo, El Lewa Thomas William Fitzwilliam Pasha, and also involved with the Suez Canal, approx. in 1945 - 47(?).

If you can point me in the right direction, I'd be very grateful.

regards

Tony

Tony

I guess this is his award of an OBE in 1936....

London Gazette #34296, dated 23rd June 1936.

To be Officers of the, Civil Division of the said Most-Excellent Order: —

Kaimakam 'Thomas William Fitzpatrick Bey, D.C.M., Assistant Commandant, Alexandria City Police.

Link to Gazette is Here

Steve

Upgrading of his OBE to CBE....

London Gazette #36413, dated 7 Mar 1944.

To be Additional Commanders of the Civil Division of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire:—

El Lewa Thomas William Fitzpatrick, Pasha, O.B.E., D.C.M., Assistant Commandant, Cairo City Police.

Link to Gazette is Here

London Gazette #37106, dated 1 Jun 1945.

Whitehall, June 1, 1945.

The KING has been pleased to give and grant unto Brigadier Thomas William Fitzpatrick, C.B.E., D.C.M.,

His Majesty's Royal licence and authority to wear the Insignia of the Third Class of the Order of Ismail, which Decoration has been conferred upon him by His Majesty the King of Egypt, in recognition of valuable services rendered by him in the capacity of Assistant Commandant, Cairo City Police.

Link to Gazette is Here

London Gazette #38133, dated 25 Nov 1947.

Foreign Office, 18th November, 1947.

The KING has been graciously pleased to grant unrestricted permission for the wearing by the undermentioned persons of the decorations respectively indicated, which were conferred upon them by His

late Majesty King George II of the Hellenes in recognition of services rendered during the war: —

Order of the Phoenix, 2nd Class.

Major-General Thomas William Fitzpatrick, C.B.E.,. D.C.M. (Commandant, Suez Canal Police).

Link to Gazette is Here

Some post war promotions/appointments...

London Gazette #32024, dated 19 Aug 1920.

Dep. Prov. Marshal (Cl. BB).— Bt. Maj. (temp. Maj.) T. W. Fitzpatrick, D.C.M., W. York. R., from A.P.M.

(Cl. FF), and to be temp. Lt.-Col. whilst so empld. 9th Aug. 1920.

Link to Gazette is Here

London Gazette #32688, dated 2 May 1922.

W. York. R.-

The undermentioned Capts. are secd. for service on the Staff. 1st Apr. 1922: —

Bt. Maj. T. W. Fitzpatrick, D.C.M.

Link to Gazette is Here

Someone round here is showing off... :D

Steve.

Appointments etc. continued....

London Gazette #33198, dated 3 Sep 1926.

REGULAR ARMY RESERVE OF OFFICERS.

INFANTRY

W. York R.—

Lt.-Col. T. W. Fitzpatrick, D.C.M. (Capt. ret. pay), to be Lt.-Col., 30th Aug. 1926, with seniority 17th Jan. 1926.

Link to Gazette is Here

London Gazette #33757, dated 29 Sep 1931.

The undermentioned having attained the age limit of liability to recall, cease to belong to the Res. of Off.:—

W. York. R.—Lt.-Col. T. W. Fitzpatrick, D.C.M. 30th Aug. 1931.

Link to Gazette is Here

However, despite finding all the above references I can't find his DCM or Mentions in Dispatches in the Gazette.

I've attached a link to the NA website which lists all his 'Gallantry' MIC's which can be downloaded (@£3.50 a go although there's a chance there may be more than one on each set of six?) and which will give a date for the entry in the London Gazette.

Link is Here

Card with Reference WO372/23 is his DCM MIC, references WO372/24 are his MID's.

Armed with the date we should be able to find the entries.

Regards

Steve

Steve,

You obviously have the right technique ! B)

>> The undermentioned having attained the age limit of liability to recall, cease to belong to the Res. of Off.:— <<

Can you tell me what this actual 'age' is?

regards

Tony

Steve,

I've I've downloaded the relevant MIC's and now have the one for his DCM, though searching the LG again has not been fruitful - no sign of a mention !

post-11814-1144596701.jpg

Can yo help with my question in the previous post - is this 'age' 55 ?

regards

Tony

I'm not sure but I think the age is 56. The one officer for whom I have an exact date of birth and reaching the age of liability to recall was born 15-9-1896 and reached the liability age on 15-9-1952.

That would imply that your man was born of 30-8-1875 ?

DCM award:

5637 Quartermaster Sergeeant Fitzpatrick T.W. 1st Battalion, Royal Irish Regiment (now Lieutenant and Adjutant 2nd Battalion)

For conspicuous gallantry and ability at Mons on 23rd August, 1914, when he collected a party of 50 men and held the cross roads against a large force of the enemy under heavy machine gun and rifle fire. On this occasion he obtained one of our broken abandoned machine guns, repaired it with the assistance of one man, and bought it into action again.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

Steve.

The date helped!

If you look at the Gazette page, it is sorted by columns which makes searching by name for anything other than the rarest of names difficult since you can't use initials or forenames to narrow the search.

Instead I searched in the range of late May to early June (the dates the search use are usually about 3 days before the MIC dates) and searched for "Distinguished Conduct". That often finds the right issue, which it did in this case. (If not, then I use various combinations of "conspicuous gallantry"/"gallantry"/etc.) Then it was a matter of estimating what page I would find it on.

The secret with the Gazette is an old one - "Know your enemy...."

Steve.