Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

63rd (Royal Naval) Division

J Banning

The title says it all really. I know that the 63rd (RN) Div attacked on the Ancre in Nov 1916 and I know that they were serving in France from May 1916.

Does anyone know when they got down to the Somme battle area??

Tried looking on Search function but got waylaid by all the topics so thought I'd try this post.

As always, any help gratefully recieved.

ta

It all depends what you mean by………………….

Ref to Jerrold’s history of the RND page 178 gives

‘The life of the Division in the new sector was almost uniformly without incidents of individual importance. The brigade and Divisional diaries chronicle, indeed, only one which can be characterized as an active operation – a highly successful raid by the Anson Battalion, on September 10th, carried to secure an identification, badly needed to check enemy movements to and from the main battlefield of the Somme.”

Does this help?

Regards

Michael D.R.

It all depends what you mean by………………….

Ref to Jerrold’s history of the RND page 178 gives

‘The life of the Division in the new sector was almost uniformly without incidents of individual importance. The brigade and Divisional diaries chronicle, indeed, only one which can be characterized as an active operation – a highly successful raid by the Anson Battalion, on September 10th, carried to secure an identification, badly needed to check enemy movements to and from the main battlefield of the Somme.”

Does this help?

Regards

Michael D.R.

I think it does! If I am reading this correctly then the RND were indeed on the Somme in September 1916. I know that they did not play a part in a major battle until November, just (and I shudder using that expression) held the line in areas that were not being attacked.

Am I right in thinking that? I just read something from an RND man talking about Somme conditions and was a bit foxed when it appeared to be from Sept 1916.

B)-->

QUOTE(Ralph B @ Apr 5 2006, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The title says it all really. I know that the 63rd (RN) Div attacked on the Ancre in Nov 1916 and I know that they were serving in France from May 1916.

Does anyone know when they got down to the Somme battle area??

Tried looking on Search function but got waylaid by all the topics so thought I'd try this post.

As always, any help gratefully recieved.

ta

Don't know if this helps, but certainly the 1st Battalion RMLI (RND) was on the Angres section of the front at least during August 1916 - one of my gran's cousins was accidently wounded by a rifle grenade whilst they were manning front-line trenches on the 10th August.

cheers

Steve

Hi Ralph.On 1,7,16 Nelson Battalion moved into the "Angres II" sector of the line.At this time they were strictly still under traing in BEF warfare proceedure after leaving Gallipoli in May 1916.Took up place in front line properly on 17/7/16 when RND took over Angres-Souchez section from 47th Division.Stayed in this sector until 19/9/16.From this date on it was a gradual movement towards the Ancre 5/10/16 - 31/12/16.I think you will find this is general for the 63rd Royal Naval Division.Regards Bob.

Cheers for all replies. Think I know what I am talking about now!

Hi Ralph

The following info comes from Ray Westlake's, 'British Battalions on the Somme', which is derived from battalion war diaries.

1st RM Battalion - Arrived Acheux from St.Pol 4/10/16, marched to Mailly-Maillet wood.

2nd RM Battalion - Arrived Englebelmer from St. Pol 5/10/16.

Anson Battalion - Arrived Acheux from St. Pol 4/10/16, marched to Mailly-Maillet.

Drake Battalion - Arrived Forceville from St. Pol 4/10/16.

Hawke Battalion - Arrived Acheux from St. Pol 4/10/16.

Hood Battalion - Arrived Forceville from St. Pol 4/10/16.

Howe Battalion - Arrived Acheux from St. Pol 4/10/16

Nelson Battalion - as above

Hope this helps

Ken