Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

help please

jamesbow

hi all,

once again i am after some help,today i met an ol gentleman who,s father served with my fatherin royal navy,they both were born in the same village.he told me his stepfather ptls edward waddington serial no8738 kings royal rifle corps was awarded the military medal.he has no idea why, where, or when any information would be most grateful as he does'nt have acces to a computer

many thanks james bow

London Gazette #29854, dated 9 December 1916.

Link to the Gazette is Here

Regards

Steve

cheers for the link steve,you dont know the best way to find out why,when etc pref online as i am not able to travel far at moment,i would really like to give him some news.thanks again james bow.

Assuming the 'three month' rule applies between date of award and the Gazetting of the same then we're looking at the later phases of the Battle of the Somme as the potential 'action'.

Online, I've no idea about any resources (except for our fellow forum members :D ) that would possibly detail the reasons for this award, hopefully a KRRC expert can help you out.

Alternatively, somewhere in the back of my memory I recall that your father (and this man) were from Wootton?. Am I right? If so then a trip to Bedford may be in order to go through the local newpapers for around that date. Local newpapers seem to be the best bet as far as detailing why awards were made, especially MM's which weren't gazetted with a citation.

Hope this helps

Steve

Citations for MMs were not published in the LG but many local newspapers printed them. That is how I found out how my grandfather won his MM. It could be worth a try.