Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

River Gunboat Glorious

Donny Anderson

Maybe this query is outside the scope of the forum but here goes.

While researching my wife's Great-grandfather, who was a Royal Marine Aboard the cruiser Defence in the South Atlantic and was posted off the ship prior to Jutland, I came across a referance to him re-enlisting after the war and serving in China on a river gunboat named "Glorious".

I can find no referance to a gunboat of this name, only the light battle-cruiser HMS Glorious. Can anyone help clear up this question and perhaps supply a list of gunboats on the China station post WWI.

Thanks in anticipation

Donny

Hi Donny,

There was a 'GLOWWORM'! Other River Gunboats named with the letter 'G': GADFLY; GRAYFLY; GREENFLY and GNAT. GNAT & GLOWWORM were Insect Class. The other three were Fly Class.

But there is no 'GLORIOUS' amongst them.

Regards

Arthur

HMS Glorious was a 1st Class Cruiser ( Light Battlecruiser) of 18,600 tons, which served in 1st Cruiser Squadron in the Grand Fleet 1917 - 18. With her sister ship Courageous she was converted post war to an Aircraft Carrier and was sunk in 1940 off Norway.

Aye

Malcolm

Thanks guys thats confirmed the info I had, must now try to track down his service record.

Thanks again

Donny