Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gale & Polden

Broznitsky

Can anybody advise if this company is still in business, or if not, who might have acquired their plates, files, etc. They did military business, starting in the 19th Century.

I have googled them and they seem to fade out in the 1960's.

My desire is to find a book printed by them at Bramshott in 1915. (I have found one copy in Canada, in the Québec National Library).

Peter

Hi Peter,

I found this on the Hamphsire Council Website. You might try contacting the Naval & Military Press to see if they know who holds the copyrights to Gale and polden works.

Just a thought.

Take care,

Neil

Gale and Polden Timeline 1981 - 1991

Robert Maxwell, the media mogul, gains control of BPC and Gale and Polden with it naming his new empire Maxwell Communications.

In November of the same year Gale and Polden finally close after months of uncertainty

the Wellington Works site is finally demolished

Robert Maxwell died and, a year later, his company collapsed leaving thousands of people, ex-Gale and Polden employees included, without a pension

A media chum says you should contact

Simon & Schuster UK Ltd

Africa House

64 - 78 Kingsway

London WC2B 6AH

United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (0)20 7316 1900

Apparently S&S aquired Purnells (G&P merged with someone else into Purnells - or might have been Purnell Press??)

I hope this helps. But looking at the advice offered by Terry D and Clive M, I don't think you have a problem with copyright. I know that doesn't help track down the original files and plates, but I'd be very surprised if they have survived.

Good luck!

• 3 months later...

Pete/Neil: Thanks for your suggestions; unfortunately I never received any replies to inquiries to both companies by email or letter. :(

And I never got my Rupert annual!! :angry:

Peter in Vancouver

Peter,

At the risk of ‘teaching Granny to suck eggs’, have you looked for the book on the Advanced Book Exchange at abe.com?

Roy

And I never got my Rupert annual!! :angry:

Peter in Vancouver

I got mine and have done for many years.

Doesn.t everybody :P

Nigel

Have you looked for the book on the Advanced Book Exchange at abe.com? Roy

Yes, Roy, registered my search for it and on several other such sites many months ago.

I just know there is a dusty old copy sitting on somebody's book shelf somewhere, probably in Québec.

Peter

My desire is to find a book printed by them at Bramshott in 1915. (I have found one copy in Canada, in the Québec National Library).

Hi Broz:

And the book's title is...

Garth

Garth: 41st Battalion French Canadians, no author.

Pete